Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

R/e 4.5" lift kit drag link question

Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidengbe
... I have an idea on drilling the hole straight at larger diameter, letting a blacksmith friend (still) of mine make a casing of the same diameter, and inside this have him do the reamed hole at exact fit. Good or bad?

Any ideas/help/inputs appreciated!
I don't know if its legal where you are, but some aftermarket steering systems use an aircraft grade, straight bolt through the knuckle. See this: www. bulletproofsteering.com/boltspecs.html

Maybe they can set you up with a new rod end and bolt and you can bypass the reaming.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Might be able to remove nuckle,take to machine shop have drilled,sleeved and drilled/reamed to proper taper and 0.750" max diameter,look for a machine shop that has automotive experience,but that said might just be cheaper to get replacement nuckle,ream properly then bounce old one off installers head a couple times,thats my 2 cents
Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	trf2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	11544

i am not sure if the tierode end is the same diameter as a tj, but used the above product Tie Rod Flip Inserts a couple of years ago was great, drill streight through, fits snug, and is tapered and and fits well....... if tierod ends are not the same diameter as tj, you may try the machine shop route to make one...
Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I'll try contact Bulletproof. Blkpearl - where did you get those?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Emailed Bulletproof, and got a superquick and polite answer! Seems like they can help me out with their tie rod end, bolt/nut!!!

Homeglass, recommend you get in touch with them as well. Been through their site, and it seems like beefy stuff they've got. Perhaps I'll end up order the entire tie rod setup from them... thanks for sharing, Victor!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

I have a question... why is the drag link not already reamed direct from RE? This has never made any sense to me.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

The drag link rod end is tapered, it's the knuckle that isn't - hence the need for the reamer!

However - RE could have included this reamer in their lift kits, in my opinion.

Last edited by Davidengbe; 08-06-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Hi,

I was the original poster. The "best" solution (and this is from both RE and the jeep dealership) is to order and have a new passenger side knuckle installed, then ream it out to the correct depth with the r/e tool. That's what I had done to mine and it works great. BTW, the JK tie rod end (because there was no boot and it was torqued so tight) had bent. Here is your parts list and cost:

1) 68004086aa - knuckle ($216.00)
2) RM13215 (jk tie rod end from r/e if yours is bent like mine was) - $47.95
3) re2612 (tapered reamer) - $48.95
Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad it worked out for you!

I have now ordered Bulletproof complete drag link setup, at a total cost of $219 plus shipping. I get back with info on how it turned out when I get it...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hope it works out. Your new drag link setup will be way beefer than the RE one. The bulletproof stuff is designed for hardcore wheelers.

Quick Reply: R/e 4.5" lift kit drag link question