Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

R/e 4.5" lift kit drag link question

Old 07-10-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/e 4.5" lift kit drag link question

Went to the Jeep dealer who noticed that the passenger side of the drag link was so loose it was wobbling when the steering wheel was turned. Took it back to 4 wheel parts who had done the install and asked them to fix it. They said they put in a sleeve and washers and now it was fixed. None of these parts are required by the kit.

Took picture afterward, doesn't look like the picture in the instructions and the jeep dealer said it looked like they had reamed out the knuckle too much. Opinions from those familiar with the kit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Not familiar with the kit but I would have them order a new kit on their dime and re-install. That's a bunch of BS if there practice is to do backyard mechanic fixes at a place of business.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Is that the passenger side from the front, with the wheel turned to the right? If so I'll go down and take a picture of mine (it'll be my crappy cell phone, as my girlfriend bogarted my brand new digital camera pretty much right out of the box), and you can compare em.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Is that the passenger side from the front, with the wheel turned to the right? If so I'll go down and take a picture of mine (it'll be my crappy cell phone, as my girlfriend bogarted my brand new digital camera pretty much right out of the box), and you can compare em.

Yep. That's it, though the wheels are straight. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is a rubber boot missing on yours. It would appear they they did not ream the knuckle hole properly and are trying to fix it... Looks like they changed the rod end to fix it. Its not the same as mine. Here´s a picture of mine. (ignore the red lines)

Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOMEGLASS
Went to the Jeep dealer who noticed that the passenger side of the drag link was so loose it was wobbling when the steering wheel was turned. Took it back to 4 wheel parts who had done the install and asked them to fix it. They said they put in a sleeve and washers and now it was fixed. None of these parts are required by the kit.

Took picture afterward, doesn't look like the picture in the instructions and the jeep dealer said it looked like they had reamed out the knuckle too much. Opinions from those familiar with the kit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

4 Wheel Parts are a bunch of hackers. They put my rear upper control arms on backwards and then I had to fix since they could not get it done that day.

I wish they would just go out of business considering all the law suits they have against them on Warranty Fraud.

I would call RE and get the skinny before talking to any shifty store manager. Then you can drop the hammer when the BS starts. Thats what I have done and it seems to work.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help and pictures! I sent my picture to rubicon express and they confirmed that it had been installed incorrectly. It looks like they reamed out the knuckle deeper than the 3/4" required and then tried to kludge a solution by removing the boot, putting a sleeve in and then adding washers. According to rubicon express this is a dangerous solution as it alters the drive geometry.

The cost to repair comes to about $650. I won't let 4 wheel parts do it as I don't trust them anymore. Either they pay me so I can get someone else to do it, or I take them to small claims court.

Thanks,

Ross
Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOMEGLASS
Thanks for the help and pictures! I sent my picture to rubicon express and they confirmed that it had been installed incorrectly. It looks like they reamed out the knuckle deeper than the 3/4" required and then tried to kludge a solution by removing the boot, putting a sleeve in and then adding washers. According to rubicon express this is a dangerous solution as it alters the drive geometry.

The cost to repair comes to about $650. I won't let 4 wheel parts do it as I don't trust them anymore. Either they pay me so I can get someone else to do it, or I take them to small claims court.

Thanks,

Ross
Good luck!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man, I wish I wouldn't have to write this, but I do...

Ordered a tapered reamer from RE, and got a friend (now former friend) to do the reaming. Got it back, and it looks somewhat like above, but with the rubber boot - which is about to crack anyway - on. Asked him what went wrong, and he looked at me like I'm from Mars or something. -Wrong? Nothing wrong! I just didn't think the reamer you got was correct, so I used one of my own... I was about to throw something at him!

The one he used was totally out of angle, and he made a deeper hole in which the tap didn't fit snugly. I can now feel the small movements while driving.

Now I'm all confused. Just wrote to RE, to ask for a solution, but would like your inputs as well...

I have an idea on drilling the hole straight at larger diameter, letting a blacksmith friend (still) of mine make a casing of the same diameter, and inside this have him do the reamed hole at exact fit. Good or bad?

Any ideas/help/inputs appreciated!

Last edited by Davidengbe; 08-03-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

*bump*

Anyone?

Quick Reply: R/e 4.5" lift kit drag link question