Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

quiet muffler option

Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that dynomax mufflers are nearly as quiet as stock. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Last edited by jeeperjk; 02-22-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I JUST did a custom cat back on mine. All these people telling you a muffler won't/can't give you low rpm gains are WRONG. Mine did. If you choose your muffler wisely and do your homework, you can add some power. However, there is something you need to understand about how mufflers work. I don't care what kinda muffler it is, mufflers work by restriction. The more restriction, the less noise. So, the quieter the muffler, the less flow. In order to free up horse power, you're gonna have to have more noise. I used a Magnaflow straight through 4" diameter muffler with an 18" body, relocated between the frame rail and the evap canister on the driver's side. They make a similar 6" diameter muffler that would be somewhat quieter, and WILL fit. I don't mind a little noise. Especially since I have some power gains. No, they're not huge....but I can go up a slight incline now GAINING speed in high gear, instead of unlocking the torque converter and dropping to third. It also has a noticable amount of a power increase on the bottom end. It really surprised me.

Quick Reply: quiet muffler option