Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

quiet muffler option

Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quiet muffler option

I would like to start adding a few bolt ons to give my jeep a little more oomph in the lower rpm department. I however enjoy the sound level of the stock muffler. Does anyone have any recommendations on mufflers that are close to sound dampening of the stock one but still have an increase in flow?

Any recomendations would be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have put the Magnaflow on and it sounds great! It has just a LITTLE deeper sound on full throttle but at idle and cruising you cannot tell its there AT ALL sound wise. I choose it because I have had FlowMaster's on a few vehicles and like you I have become a fan of quieter vehicles. In my opinion the Magnaflow is a nice quiet free flow design!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Junkie

yup my magnaflow is great
just the right amount of noise in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tackindy
I have put the Magnaflow on and it sounds great! It has just a LITTLE deeper sound on full throttle but at idle and cruising you cannot tell its there AT ALL sound wise. I choose it because I have had FlowMaster's on a few vehicles and like you I have become a fan of quieter vehicles. In my opinion the Magnaflow is a nice quiet free flow design!
I to had a loud vehicle in the past. My previous ride had long tube headers with 3inch true duals and glass packs. <- is what I felt like after driving it for a year.

Which model would you guys recommend?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

A muffler isn't going to give you much if any additional power at low rpm. A better place to get some better power on the low end is via a higher flowing air filter or a CAI.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
A muffler isn't going to give you much if any additional power at low rpm. A better place to get some better power on the low end is via a higher flowing air filter or a CAI.
I already have a higher flowing filter and am looking to give abit better flow on the exhale now. I doubt I would want to drop the money on a cai, for some reason I dont like to take offroading ablility away from my jeep (im just weird like that). Would a muffler not help say in the 1500 rpm department? I just wanted to help her out alittle bit, the motor feels like it has a dead spot in the power band before it winds up to 3000rpm.

Last edited by jeeperjk; 02-22-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Junkie

It's going to be in the 3-3500 range before there is even a nominal gain in power. An exhaust wrap or heat barrier coat will keep exhaust gas velocity higher and give you better lower rpm performance. A heat barrier coat will also reduce your under hood temperatures giving you somewhat colder air on the intake side.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

It's going to be in the 3-3500 range before there is even a nominal gain in power. An exhaust wrap or heat barrier coat will keep exhaust gas velocity higher and give you better lower rpm performance. A heat barrier coat will also reduce your under hood temperatures giving you somewhat colder air on the intake side.
looking at the dyno sheets of other jk's intake+muffler combo shows a decent gain in the 2000rpm range. Are these numbers not worth chasing?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

Because it's on the intake side.

I have headers, CAI and an exhaust on my JK, so yes I think the additional power is worth chasing after. The reality however is that the exhaust side buys you nothing until you reach a volume of exhaust gases and velocity that it effectively scavenges spent fuel and gases from the cylinder. If you want to pick up performance at those low rpms you could run some 1.75 or 2" pipe.

Last edited by JPop; 02-22-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Because it's on the intake side.

I have headers, CAI and an exhaust on my JK, so yes I think the additional power is worth chasing after. The reality however is that the exhaust side buys you nothing until you reach a volume of exhaust gases and velocity that it effectively scavenges spent fuel and gases from the cylinder. If you want to pick up performance at those low rpms you could run some 1.75 or 2" pipe.
I dont think I would want to run a reducer for fear of effecting my upper powerband. Seems to be that I would be at a loss in the exhaust department. Suppose my jk will remain a dog in the low end for the rest of enternity. I do think however that a muffler would still be a nice mod for my freeway entry.

Last edited by jeeperjk; 02-22-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: quiet muffler option