Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick Questions for anyone who bed lined their hard top?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Questions for anyone who bed lined their hard top?

about how many cans of the duplicolor or whatever brand of bedliner did it take you to do the entire top?

Also.. did you take sandpaper or a scotch brite pad to it first?

I am going to be starting this over the weekend and want to know what im getting myself into.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Sand paper, then wash and dry it good. It took a couple cans of rustoleum truck bedliner. Better to have more and not need it than need it and not have it. If you can let the top sit out in the sun after and 'bake' it dries and hardens fast. Ive had it done for like 2 yrs and still looks good!! Last summer I did the exterior and the fenders and those also still look good, even after the winter!!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Just did it last weekend. Took about 6 cans if rustoleum. 1 can of adhesion promoter. I sanded with 150 grit.[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	topon.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	149507   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	149508  

Last edited by ChopN; 04-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys. I am going to start sanding in a couple days.. then either over the weekend or next week start applying the bed liner.

My soft top is going back on and the hard top will sit.. but i figure i better do it while im still thinking about it.

where did you guys buy your bed liner and at and how much did it run you?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
thanks guys. I am going to start sanding in a couple days.. then either over the weekend or next week start applying the bed liner.

My soft top is going back on and the hard top will sit.. but i figure i better do it while im still thinking about it.

where did you guys buy your bed liner and at and how much did it run you?
I bought some at autozone but they only get 3 cans at a time. I checked home depot in the spray paint section and they had tons! Also about 1.50 cheaper per can. Just go straight to HD for everything you'll need.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used the DupliColor, about 7 cans. Sanded first, it's a pain but the stock hardtop finish is somewhat slippery so it needs to be roughed up prior to bedliner application. I had to visit two different autoparts stores because they were limited to a few cans at a time each. I spent a lot more time taping/papering off things than the actual bedliner spraying.

I've had it done for about 8 months now and I'm still very glad I did it, it's not hard to do and it looks so much more natural that the "inside of a coleman cooler" white look.

It does have a little odor the first few days, but having it out in the sun to bake made it cure quicker than I thought it would.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0058.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	149528

Name:	DSC_0057.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	149529

You'll be happy with the results.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
I am going to be starting this over the weekend and want to know what im getting myself into.
I’ve used Dupli-Color bedliner on my Element doors, mirrors, armrest/box, upper & lower dash, interior freedom panels, and grill…I’d highly recommend a degrease & wax remover…I use Dupli-Color but anything to remove grease & grime *Before* sanding. Then I tape, sand with 320 grit, wash and paint.

***watch out for the first and last bit of the spray can. The first bit out is usually murky (even after shaking for 3 minutes) and the end will sputter and splatter.**

try to keep the can upright as possible--keep the motion going, don't let it pool up,
...it's pretty easy. if you're going over white, I'd prime first...the primer is half the cost and lets the bedliner go further.

Name:	Dash 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	149947Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	149948

Dan
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Da Q
... on my Element doors, mirrors, armrest/box, upper & lower dash, interior freedom panels, and grill…
I am sensing an addiction.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Anyone paint it other than black? Like silver or whatever their body color is?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know Line X just adds the factory paint to do their color matching. now while you couldnt do that to pre made cans... you could probably have someone mix some up for you.. or if you wanna try the roll on stuff mix it up yourself.

Quick Reply: Quick Questions for anyone who bed lined their hard top?