Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick question about steering stabilizers!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about steering stabilizers!

I pick up my 2012 70th Anniversary this Monday night. Very first mods are:
This lift kit:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-c...s-rc-637p.html

These wheels in the 18x9:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-wh...k-machined.htm

These tires in 33x12.5-18:
ht tp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+MT +KL71&partnum=325QR8KL71&vehicleSearch=false&fromC ompare1=yes

The question is this mod right here. I'm not EXACTLY familiar with it, and not sure what the benefit of it is. For a daily driver Jeep, is it necessary? Will it create a tighter and more controlled steering composure? Will it give me greater longevity from my suspension? I just need a little further explanation:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-c...-rc-87349.html

Not new to forums or modified rides or Mopar, just new to this platform, and excited to begin a new passion!! (I'll post pics of my other rides soon)
Thanks so much for any help boys!!

Last edited by Absolute; 12-10-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: clicky link to non sponsor
Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't bother with dual stabilizers. Just another thing for a rock to bite!!! IMO, if you are at a point where you feel you "need" an additional steering stabilizer, you have other problems that need attended to! (I say this because most of the vehicles I see with 2,3 and even 4 steering stabilizers have them because they are trying to use them as a band-aid for steering troubles (well, that or they just want bling!)) A properly setup steering system will have no need for more than one stabilizer.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 33s you shouldn't need a new steering stabilizer. I am using the stock one until it breaks.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLACKJKUR
I wouldn't bother with dual stabilizers. Just another thing for a rock to bite!!! IMO, if you are at a point where you feel you "need" an additional steering stabilizer, you have other problems that need attended to! (I say this because most of the vehicles I see with 2,3 and even 4 steering stabilizers have them because they are trying to use them as a band-aid for steering troubles (well, that or they just want bling!)) A properly setup steering system will have no need for more than one stabilizer.
Unless Jeeps are now flying through asteroid fields, a dual stabilizer will NOT bite onto anything, as its attached above the tie rod. I have non of these issues, yet I run them and makes it hell of a lot more controllable Off-road.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111210_214256.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	248361  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DONKEY-PUNCH

Unless Jeeps are now flying through asteroid fields, a dual stabilizer will NOT bite onto anything, as its attached above the tie rod. I have non of these issues, yet I run them and makes it hell of a lot more controllable Off-road.
What setup are you running?..
Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Okay then.....

So what about a little less aggressive piece:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-c...-rc-87319.html

Also, are there any "insurance mods" you guys recommend doing with this lift. Sorry if I sound like a jackass, just trying to grab any beginning suspension advice here boys......
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nvmygp

What setup are you running?..
King in garden grove, CA. made me a dual setup. I stopped by and ask if they had a steering stabilizer or dual and said they never really done one and would give it a shot. I absolutely love it but constantly get jabs on the forum about it. I figured who else to trust but one of the leaders in shocks.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Donkey-Punch,
IDK man, during my interstellar Jeep travels, I have had a heck of a time with the asteroid fields! LOL! Your setup is nice and protected so, not a concern for you but, I have seen some kits where they mount the stabilizers at the same level as the the tie-rod, directly in front of it. (that's asking to get hit!) After searching for a while, I found a pic of the kit the OP posted installed and it appears they are above the tie-rod so that is good. Still wholly unnecessary with 33's though!!!

Yours is a well thought out design. (and I would assume specially valved) I am just so used to seeing rigged up junk out this way that it makes for a predisposition against the multiple setup! IDK about Cali but, here in the south we see a good bit of the oh, just slap a few more stabilizers on it, it'll work mindset! I've seen rigs with 4 of them, all with springs on them (kinda like the old school overload shocks) where you start to wonder how the vehicle can even turn!!!

Anyways, I better hush before I get way off on a tangent, LOL!

SRTLUVR, that single stabilizer setup you posted would be fine, you shouldn't actually have any need to replace your stock one but, if you want a fancier look and a better protected mount than the stock one, that'll definitely fit the bill!!!

I don't know what kind of budget you are looking to stay within but, were it me, i would look at something like Rock Krawlers 2.5" mid arm lift. Yes, it is A LOT more than the Rough Country lift you posted but, you get a LOT more stuff, adjustable control arms (to keep caster right), adjustable track bar, extended brake lines, etc. I have their 3.5" mid arm X factor and love it! There are a lot of options out there 2.5" lift wise! Look not just at price but also what all you are getting! Poke around on here and look at what people are running lift wise, study up as much as you can, that way when you buy, you buy once!!!

Last edited by BLACKJKUR; 12-10-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL. I hear you pal
Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks so far!!

All good feedback boys, that's what I needed!!

Would this be a better setup?:

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2perf.html

I'll search out the other recommendation also. Thank you! I'm a big fan of doing it RIGHT the first time. It's the kind of foundation I laid on my Charger as well. If its a bit more money, but worth it a year from now, I get that understanding!!

Last edited by SRTLUVR; 12-10-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Quick question about steering stabilizers!