Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick Question About Smitthybilt SRC

Old 12-17-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question About Smitthybilt SRC

I hope this is the right place, so here it goes.

I just got a Smittybilt SRC front bumper and I can't wait to bolt it on. I took a look at the instructions and it says that I need to drill a couple holes. So I am wondering what type of drill bit pick up?

I tried searching and didnt come across much about the SRC, so could anyone provide some first hand input and install tips about the bumper.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you drilling to the frame? If so get a carbide tipped or cobalt bit, you might need more than one, im not sure. Make sure to post up some pics of the install and finished product, I haven ever really found good pictures of the SRC.
good luck
Old 12-18-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed this bumper. It is a pain in the back side to line up. I used a tappered drill bit to do the hole. You are drilling the frame side. Its best to do this with a frind or two and if you don't have that, a cherry picker works great. Once you get the holes lined up, you can see what you need to do to have the bumper line up correctly. Don't just drill the holes they recommend. Line it up first or you will have a crooked bumper.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a hell of a time aligning my XRC rear bumper, a friend or a good jack should help. as far as the drill goes, I suggest a makita or dewalt.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's different about the SRC vs the XRC? Besides the obvious tubes. Seems like they would mount the same. The 2 holes for that frame plate were already in my frame. Is there a diff mount? Or or you talking about where it says to drill out those 4 holes by the hitch? My bolts went though the holes so I didn't see any point in drilling them. Mine went on pretty easy, just used a floor jack with a big block of wood to manipulate. I'm waiting on some hardware for the carrier though.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

It said that I need to widen out the front holes to 1/2in and to drill a hole in the cross member but I will look and see if it will line up before I start drilling. I just get nervous when it says to drill into my baby. I guess the xrc and the arc would mount the same way
Old 12-19-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Carbide is what I think I used on my frame.
But if you're just widening a hole, you can use any bit that isn't dull.

Incidentally, bit strength goes from weakest to strongest in this order:
Steel
High-Speed Steel (HSS)
Titanium coated HSS
Carbide-Tipped steel
Cobalt steel

Last edited by AlmightyCrash; 12-19-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by D_Acord
It said that I need to widen out the front holes to 1/2in and to drill a hole in the cross member but I will look and see if it will line up before I start drilling. I just get nervous when it says to drill into my baby. I guess the xrc and the arc would mount the same way
That's the holes I was talking about. I didn't drill mine, bolts went through fine everything lined up. If the frame bolts will go through, I saw no need to drill them.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

If you do need to drill, it will be very minor. I had to drill mine to get the bolts in, but it was just fractions of an inch, took like 20 seconds per hole. I used a good quality DeWalt drill bit on a 18V cordless, and it went through very easily.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

To the op, check and see if the bolts slide through, if they do, no need to drill. Just check before you get the bumper up there.

Quick Reply: Quick Question About Smitthybilt SRC