Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick question about installing windshield lights.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about installing windshield lights.

I'm about to get a bumper that does not have factory fog light cutouts. I'm also putting some lights on the windshield and was wondering if it was possible to install the lights where they can be turned on/off with the switch used to control the stock fogs? I won't be using the stock fogs anymore so I hope there is a way to utilize the switch!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

The stock foglights are 35 watts I believe. I think to safely use the fog light switch you would need to stay at 55 watts or lower. Most lights mounted on the winsheild are 100+ watts
Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Supro
I'm about to get a bumper that does not have factory fog light cutouts. I'm also putting some lights on the windshield and was wondering if it was possible to install the lights where they can be turned on/off with the switch used to control the stock fogs? I won't be using the stock fogs anymore so I hope there is a way to utilize the switch!
Good ideal but I think Scott08x is right, might add some aftermarket driving lights to your new bumper.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And also, most aux lights are made to work in conjunction with the high beams, not the low beams. The fogs will not work with the high beam.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it is possible. But dont wire them directly. Use the power wire going to the stock fogs as the TRIGGER wire to a new relay which handles the power to the lights. I have had my aftermarket KC fogs wired this way for over 5 years.

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
And also, most aux lights are made to work in conjunction with the high beams, not the low beams. The fogs will not work with the high beam.
Correct. If you use the factory fog switch as a trigger, your new lights will only function on the low beam setting. If you want them to function with high beams only, then use the hot wire to the high beams as the trigger wire for a new relay. I have had my KC driving lights wired this way for over 5 years as well.

If you want to be able to turn them on whenever you desire regardless of high/low beam condition, then run the trigger wire to any ignition hot circuit. (i am not a fan of running aux. lighting to a non switched source as it then makes it very easy to accidentally leave the lights on and kill your battery.)

Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

It will not work. I tried it. The electrical system will know theres a problem and shut them right off after mabe flashing for a second or two....The wattage must be the same as the OEM fogs, which they're not going to be, likely twice this.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

BTW, happy is correct, you can do it this way, just not directly wired to the fogs.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scott08X
The stock foglights are 35 watts I believe. I think to safely use the fog light switch you would need to stay at 55 watts or lower. Most lights mounted on the winsheild are 100+ watts
So if I just run some KC Apollo's or something else that's 55W I'd be safe?

Also, thanks for the diagrams Happy. If the 55W doesn't work I'll definitely be using your wiring diagrams!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if I just run some KC Apollo's or something else that's 55W I'd be safe?

Also, thanks for the diagrams Happy. If the 55W doesn't work I'll definitely be using your wiring diagrams!
I have 55 watts Pro Comp lights on my bumper wired to my factory fog switch with no problems. If you stay 55 or below you will be fine.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scott08X
I have 55 watts Pro Comp lights on my bumper wired to my factory fog switch with no problems. If you stay 55 or below you will be fine.
Thanks Scott! That's exactly what I wanted to know

Quick Reply: Quick question about installing windshield lights.