Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick question

Old 09-15-2021, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question

Hey y’all, first post here but I’m in need of a bit of help. Not sure if this is the right section but it seems the most active. So I have a 2016 wrangler and I bought a 3 inch teraflex lift with the sport arms and the falcon 3.1 shocks for it last summer. Lost my job over the pandemic and the kit has sit in my kitchen unopened since.

I am back to work now but it’s not looking realistic on being able to afford wheels, tires and install plus probably a driveshaft within the next year.

First I was wondering will shocks go bad? Is the fluid in the resi’s ok sitting for 1.5 yrs in a box? Next, I’ve kinda decided I’d like to sell the kit now and use the funds for bumpers and just stick to 33s. Once I can afford to do the lift I’ll just rebuy another. Does that sound like a decent plan?

Where would you recommend selling the kit? Should I call local shops and see what they say? Kind of sketched out with eBay and such high price stuff.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2021, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

The shocks are fine, fluid takes years and years to break apart on its own.

As for selling the kit, you can try Craigslist maybe. But your rate of return is going to be low. I’d guess maybe 50-60%.

You may be better off hanging onto the kit till you’re ready to do everything.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

+1 on all the above.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Yep, lots of hype on the falcon shocks when you bought the kit, that has gone away and more and more negitive views on those shocks. Teraflex is a so so company and has mid level lift in terms of quality and engineering. I would agree that you will take a 40-50% hit on what you paid for it. Craigslist, FB marketplace, wrangler forum has a bunch of teraflex fanboys on it, that might be your best place to advertise.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies yall! I’m surprised, I didn’t know shocks could last that long in the box. As for the falcons, I drove my buddies on the 3.1s last summer and my other buddies with the fox resi’s and the 3.1s were far superior on road so I grabbed a pair. I just didn’t realize how expensive it was to do things properly.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

I’ve never used falcons but literally every single teraflex product I’ve had has been a headache, from a simple tie rod clamp to their heavy duty ball joints. So, just with my experience, I will never buy another teraflex product.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
I’ve never used falcons but literally every single teraflex product I’ve had has been a headache, from a simple tie rod clamp to their heavy duty ball joints. So, just with my experience, I will never buy another teraflex product.
honestly I only paid $1700 for the kit and shocks because my buddy works at morris and now I see it listed at 1600 for the kit and 1350 for the shocks. Already tried to return it to him but that is a no go 😂 I don’t know a lot about lifts and what not. My buddy had a teraflex 3 inch with the 3.1s so I just copied his because the ride was really nice on it.

I was making a lot more money when I bought it so it seemed feasible at the time but now it seems like a long shot. Ideally I’d like to just sell it and use that 2k for 33s wheels and bumpers but I’m not sure I’ll be able to. Kinda screwed myself but hey it happens.

also, no go on the teraflex ball joints? That was literally my next move after heavy wheels and tires. What happened with yours?
Old 09-17-2021, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

The HD joints may be stronger than stock but they’re often loose. Every 1000-2000 miles or so since I’ve had them I’ve had to tighten them. The adjustment part isn’t coming loose because the set screws on the adjustment ring is still tight. I think the internals of the joints are just getting worn quickly. Also, the adjustment ring itself is an oddball shape so teraflex gives a crows foot type tool to make the adjustments. The tool isn’t solid when you put it on the adjustment ring, if I didn’t push hard on their tool then it would slip off the ring and round out the edges. They could have easily made that part more robust or instead of a 15 sides ring (or however many sides), they could have made the ring with less sides so their tool can have more contact with the adjustment ring.

Granted, the joints are somewhat cheap so I can’t complain too much. They’ve served their purpose. But when they finally give up I’ll use the rare parts joints.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
But when they finally give up I’ll use the rare parts joints.
This is where I got mine from and it was the least expensive when I did find them. Price looks to be about the same as I paid 2 years ago. Customer service was pretty good as UPS delivered to the wrong address and I called OK4WD up and told them I hadn't received them. They sent out another set and I had them in my hands the next day. Not sure what they did about the set that got sent to the wrong address.

I have about 3000 miles on mine so far and no issues. The steering wheel also returned to center right after having them installed and I know that sometimes when you have brand new ball joints they need to break in after a few hundred miles before the steering wheel will just come back to center after making a turn. So I am pretty happy with them so far.

https://ok4wd.com/rare-parts-rp12573...fault_products

Quick Reply: Quick question