Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick disconnects too long?

Old 06-14-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick disconnects too long?

Help! I'm doing me first jeep wrenching. I've got the JKS quicker disconnects and they are about 1.5" longer than the original sway bar links. I have zero lift and these are the ones speced to work with zero lift. This will put the sway bar on the high side, probably passed the recommended 5 degrees. Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Covered_Wagon
Help! I'm doing me first jeep wrenching. I've got the JKS quicker disconnects and they are about 1.5" longer than the original sway bar links. I have zero lift and these are the ones speced to work with zero lift. This will put the sway bar on the high side, probably passed the recommended 5 degrees. Thoughts?
Personally i wouldn't put 1.5 longer sway bar links on when you can go out and buy a Clevis pin, cotter pin, and washers from home depot or lowes and have yourself a set of quick disconnects for $15 if that.

I believe guys were going with a 1/2 instead because the 7/16" would rattle a little.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...discos-287492/
Old 06-14-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

I've pulled the old links off. They are 5 1/4" long from the center of the holes. The JKS are 6 3/4".
Old 06-14-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

I did the homemade links but did end up using 7/16" pins, the 1/2" supposedly don't fit in the mount of the newer JK's. Not sure what year it switched...
Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trouty33
I did the homemade links but did end up using 7/16" pins, the 1/2" supposedly don't fit in the mount of the newer JK's. Not sure what year it switched...

Yeah from what i remember reading is guys where drilling out to 1/2 so the clevis pin would have a much tighter fit then the 7/16 because some could hear it rattle.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Yeah I think some were, I have the fringe benefit of partial hearing loss so the rattle doesn't bother me... I did consider a few wraps with electrical
Tape if the noise was to much.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had checked out the DIY stuff but wanted to purchase, and already has the JKS's in hand.

Went ahead with the install, bar is a little high, but these will grow with the jeep. Hoping for some Rubicon JKU takeoff's one day.

The only potential clearance issue could be on the passenger side upper bolt hitting the spring mount, but it would have to be a serious impact. Anything done off road would have no sway bar connects so no rubbing.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

It should be ok, more than the suggested angle. But as long as you disconnect on trails you should be fine...

Quick Reply: Quick disconnects too long?