Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick disco came disconected on my roadtrip!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let us know how you make out - im sure lowes & home depot etc are open today too...if not a sears or sears tool store
theres a flying j (truck stop up there) i know because we usually get fuel in amarillo on our way to santa fe because its cheaper there than in new mexico.

Im gonna pm you my cell phone number - call me if you need some verbal assistance or encouragement.

also look of for a TRACTOR SUPPLY theyll have all the snap rings & cotter pins you would ever need.
here - did the work for you kinda the ZIPCODE for AMARILLO is 79103 (its one of 27 zip codes, but should be a good start).

Tractor Supply Company

http://zipcode.org/city/TX/AMARILLO

this store is on i27, south of i40 (on the south side of amarillo)

AMARILLO #1159
8511 CANYON DR AMARILLO TX 79119
(806) 355-7959

Last edited by bushpilot; 12-24-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bushpilot
let us know how you make out - im sure lowes & home depot etc are open today too...if not a sears or sears tool store
theres a flying j (truck stop up there) i know because we usually get fuel in amarillo on our way to santa fe because its cheaper there than in new mexico.

Im gonna pm you my cell phone number - call me if you need some verbal assistance or encouragement.

also look of for a TRACTOR SUPPLY theyll have all the snap rings & cotter pins you would ever need.
here - did the work for you kinda the ZIPCODE for AMARILLO is 79103 (its one of 27 zip codes, but should be a good start).

Tractor Supply Company

City of Amarillo, TX Zip Codes | ZipCode.org

this store is on i27, south of i40 (on the south side of amarillo)

AMARILLO #1159
8511 CANYON DR AMARILLO TX 79119
(806) 355-7959
You are full of great ideas!! Thanks for the TS address, I hadn't thought f that either!

Thanks for the PM's, too.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
You can fix the lower mount with a BFH.

Can't tell how bad the damage to the fire is from your pictures, much as well swap the spare just in case, that's what it's there for.

If one side is disconnected you basically have no sway bar either way...it works off the torsion or resistance of one side pushing against the other, if one side is disconnected, there is no resistance.

I've been running no sway bar for the past few months and don't have issues cause I'm used to it, actually prefer it. I also stay light though.
Seeing as how you're not used to it and you have a heavily loaded jeep, I'd try to Jerry rig something, or at least take it easy on the turns.
Yeah, I am going to flip the spare on. The wifey thinks its fun to pull off the road and stay in a nice Marriott for the night, but I know she won't think it's fun to pull off the road to change a tire!! Haha
Old 12-24-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
You are full of great ideas!! Thanks for the TS address, I hadn't thought f that either!

Thanks for the PM's, too.
youre welcome....im often told im FULL something....sometimes even a good idea
travel safe & call if you need anything.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've also used the hitch pin clip once when I lost the other clip. If you have on of those with you.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bushpilot
youre welcome....im often told im FULL something....sometimes even a good idea
travel safe & call if you need anything.
Will do, thanks again for the help - everyone!

Here is what I think I am going to replace the snap rings with. Seems like a better idea and won't flip open and rattle out

The Creek Company :: Weekly Specials :: #848L - Stainless Steel Snap-Pins Long
Old 12-24-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
Will do, thanks again for the help - everyone!

Here is what I think I am going to replace the snap rings with. Seems like a better idea and won't flip open and rattle out

The Creek Company :: Weekly Specials :: #848L - Stainless Steel Snap-Pins Long
that should be fine, a hitch pin clip (as mentioned above) is probably even better but all will be fine.
ive had my jks's on for at least 10k miles (pulled behind an RV) and ive never had 'em come off...those rings are
strong enough to mash a finger, they dont just FLIP open & come off.

im gonna bet someone didnt put the thing on right or completely (another reason i do my own mods & vehicle repairs).

i use those same type of lynch pins that come w/ the jks discos all over our car trailer, and RV tow bar...ive NEVER had one come loose, EVER.

looks like you stand to get at least SOME snow -
its gonna get cold as hell (for us texans) tomorrow....and TEXAS doesnt deal w/ snow at all....we wait til it melts, as you likely recall.

lucky for me we'll only get rain in houston (figures since i just claybar'd the jeep last night after washing it).

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...rm-com/3045354

Last edited by bushpilot; 12-24-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

I'm pretty sure the pin was installed backwards by the so called "reputable" shop. You don't really need to replace them, they work very well.

I would disconnect the other side and drive home without worries. It will be a bit more wobbly, but nothing to stress over or stay at a hotel for.

I think the tire is fine too, although it's hard to tell from the pictures.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

^ i disagree w/ the "wobbly" statement....w/out the front sway bar connected it can be quite dangerous....not undrivable but i would NOT want to have to pull some evasive maneuver on the interstate or even a secondary road w/out the front sway bar...it could easily be disastrous.

i drove a small back road after having left the trail.....it was a rode w/ quite a few turns & my speed wasnt more than 35 or 45 mph...i learned very quickly how important that front sway bar is....wouldnt take much to spin or flip the jeep thats for sure.

Last edited by bushpilot; 12-24-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your tire may not have had much wear from that incident, but how much heat did it generate rubbing like that? That's ashamed because it looks like a near new tire. Best of luck and Merry Christmas

Quick Reply: Quick disco came disconected on my roadtrip!