Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick disco came disconected on my roadtrip!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, need some help. I had to pull off in Amarillo Tx to get gas and I started hearing some grinding an funky noises when I took the exit and started making full turns, so I knew something was up..

Looked under the jeep and the top of my jks quick disco came disconnected on the drive, laid over forward and was making contact with the inside sidewall of my tire. It also bent the lower mount and mounting post. I was able to get the disco off with a hammer and some vice grips.

A couple of things:

1) should I disco the passenger side too for the rest of the trip (1000 miles more to go to get there and back, all hwy)? Or leave the passenger side connected and just run the drivers side disconnected?

2) take a look at the tire, it wore it down pretty good. They are MTRs with pretty thick sidewalls, so they aren't bulging or anything that looks too dangerous, but should I be safe and mount the spare, or just run on it?

3) I am pretty sure the jks arm is screwed, the joint that was rubbing on the tire and bouncing around is all jacked looking. Anyone think I could some how get this warrantied? The culprit was the cotter pin combing loose. I specifically inspected it this morning before I left and it was installed by a reputable shop. They are only a week old.

4) how much damage did I do to te lower mount? Is this something that I could bend back in place? Or am I screwed?

Things like this suck when on a roadtrip....

Thanks for any help guys...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3205358686.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	401380   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3043126187.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	401381   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2490133448.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	401382   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2320309023.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	401383   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3022977255.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	401384  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4187023423.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	401385   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3107671590.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	401386  

Last edited by Brightwhite; 12-23-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Take your jeep and disco to the shop that did the work, if they are reputable they will repair and replace parts. And its OK to run with only one, just slow down around turns and try not to do any sharp maneuvers.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

damn that sucks. glad you found it before something bad happened
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 AM
JK Freak

you can drive it w/ the drop links disconnected - but its dangerous, i would drive it but i would be VERY VERY careful
when turning at at thing other than low speed....and let me further say, driving w/ the front sway bar disconnected is NOT
recommended.

you should be able to HAMMER that mount straight(er)....im gonna guess a small 3 lb sledge would do it.
put the disconnect back on & drive it...even if the bushing is messed up on the outter edge (per the pic) you should be fine, but
again take it VERY VERY easy in turns.

I have a set of STOCK drop links if you want 'em but, even if you paid fedex you wouldnt get 'em for another day.

Surely theres a JK member close to you that can lend a hand & hammer to straighten that mount back enough to get you rolling
again.

Truck stops are 24/7 and usually have a mechanic on duty - theyll even be open on Christmas & should be able to lend you a hammer or straighten the mount/tab for you.

Last edited by bushpilot; 12-24-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I would get that tire checked or swap the spare on too, I can't tell from the picture how bad it is, but you don't want a sidewall blowing out on you @ highway speed.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am going to try Walmart to see if I can get a cotter pin solution, a torch, and a small sledge and do it myself. If not I will just leave the passenger side connected and keep an eye for a truck stop. I have about 250 more miles to go today until I am at the family's, so if I can get it there, I may be able to drop it off for a day at a shop and let them fix it.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bushpilot
you can drive it w/ the drop links disconnected - but its dangerous, i would drive it but i would be VERY VERY careful
when turning at at thing other than low speed....and let me further say, driving w/ the front sway bar disconnected is NOT
recommended.

you should be able to HAMMER that mount straight(er)....im gonna guess a small 3 lb sledge would do it.
put the disconnect back on & drive it...even if the bushing is messed up on the outter edge (per the pic) you should be fine, but
again take it VERY VERY easy in turns.

I have a set of STOCK drop links if you want 'em but, even if you paid fedex you wouldnt get 'em for another day.

Surely theres a JK member close to you that can lend a hand & hammer to straighten that mount back enough to get you rolling
again.

Truck stops are 24/7 and usually have a mechanic on duty - theyll even be open on Christmas & should be able to lend you a hammer or straighten the mount/tab for you.
Thanks for the help! I appreciate the offer for the stock drop links. I have mine at home and may have just figured out something I should carry with me...

I like the truck stop idea, never thought if that.

I know everyone likes pictures, so here is a pic of the jeep yesterday morning all cleaned up, fresh oil change and all fluids checked, lug nuts checked, and the suspension and quick discos were checked as well! Loaded down with Xmas cargo!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4189856762.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	401429  
Old 12-24-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I am thinking that the snap ring was not properly installed.
http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_pn_2030-2034.pdf
Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
I am thinking that the snap ring was not properly installed.
http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_pn_2030-2034.pdf
Yep, you could be correct. There's no doubt in my mind that the top snap pin/cotter pin came out. They are only a week old, so I hadn't had time to study them or look too much at the design, but after last night I will be replacing all of the pins with something different. I am not a fan of the design. Of course, my opinion may be a "little" biased after last nights incident...
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can fix the lower mount with a BFH.

Can't tell how bad the damage to the fire is from your pictures, much as well swap the spare just in case, that's what it's there for.

If one side is disconnected you basically have no sway bar either way...it works off the torsion or resistance of one side pushing against the other, if one side is disconnected, there is no resistance.

I've been running no sway bar for the past few months and don't have issues cause I'm used to it, actually prefer it. I also stay light though.
Seeing as how you're not used to it and you have a heavily loaded jeep, I'd try to Jerry rig something, or at least take it easy on the turns.

Quick Reply: Quick disco came disconected on my roadtrip!