Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A quick analysis of Superlift shocks vs stock

Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick analysis of Superlift shocks vs stock

I'm sure many of you have seen my recent posts, complaining about the superlift shocks that are matched with the 2" lift kit. My complaint was that the superlift shocks, for 2" kits, weren't much longer than my stock shocks. This would definitely limit your down travel of your wheels. While trying to explain this to superlift, they kept coming back with "Well, we never had any problems on other jeep through an '06, so I don't know why you have this problem." But, as we all know....the TJ models aren't as tall as the JK's from stock, so there wouldn't be a problem on anything through an '06.

One day at work, I was reading about the shocks they initially sent me, and the description of the shocks I received said they were for "0 - 2 inches of lift." Now, I realize you "could" use stock shocks for this lift, but not effectively. You wouldn't get the down travel that you would with longer shocks. IMO these shocks shouldn't be sent out with a 2" kit. Of course, I've seen posts from some who use these and are happy...and that's fine. HOwever, I don't want to limit my jeep's offroad ability because of shocks that are too short.

Superlift, to their praise, did send me the shocks for a 4" lift and didn't charge me any extra. I figured the longer shocks would be very similar to the one's I had....only a few inches longer. Well, after pulling them out of the box and setting them besides the other superlift shock and a factory shock, I realized that there was a night and day difference. The picture I took isn't very good since it was on a camera phone, but I wanted to show you guys (for your own good) what the big difference is when ordering your shocks. The original 0-2" shocks from superlift looked like stock shocks compared to the beast 4" shocks. Not only were the 4" shocks longer, but they seem to be built much better with larger diameter body and shaft.

Keep in mind that these are rear shocks..and the length isn't as great of a difference as the ones in the front. The bottom shock in the image is my factory X shock, next one up is the 0-2" superlift shock, and of course the one at the top is the 4" shock. The 0-2" superlift shock is hardly longer than the factory shocks...prob less than an inch. Now, tell me how this is supposed to make up for the 2" you raised the jeep??? The top shock (in the front) was actually 4" longer than the stock shock...imagine that right? Isn't that the way it should be? So, needless to say, the 4" shocks are mounted and working great, the only thing holding me back from full flex now is BRAKELINES!!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful that you don't pop your springs out with those longer shocks. You might want to use limiting straps to help with that.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do the new ones measure eye to eye?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, good info to have. I have the Black Diamond shocks for a 2" B.B. still sitting in my garage. I think I'll measure them before I install them also.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
What do the new ones measure eye to eye?
I believe they were about 26.5" from eye to eye.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK7349
Be careful that you don't pop your springs out with those longer shocks. You might want to use limiting straps to help with that.
WEll, I flexed it doesn't look like they will fall out. I have both good up and down travel, and shocks don't seem to be too long. Now, just need longer brake lines.

Quick Reply: A quick analysis of Superlift shocks vs stock