Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Questions for those with snorkels

Old 02-28-2016, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for those with snorkels

I bought a used 14 JKU that came with a Rugged Ridge modular snorkel. I have the low rise intake for daily driving because the hi-mount ram air intake makes a hell of a lot of noise. Today I opened the filter box and found a K&N inside (score!) I cleaned and oiled the filter and was putting things back together when I found that the top of the airbox was cracked. While digging around I discovered the goofy modern sculpture that is the air baffles/ mufflers in front of the engine. So....here are the questions: Is this really necessary (can I lose the baffles)? Does it rob HP (aside form the extra snorkel tubing)? What is the sensor right in front of the throttle body (Intake air temp?)

I figured that while I'm replacing the top half of the airbox, nows the time to make other improvements.

Cheers,

Squirrel
Old 02-28-2016, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RR Snorkel

I have the same snorkel. No Issues with noise or whistling from the high mount. The top portion of the XHD snorkel system is the OEM part the kit only replaces the bottom. As for the Sensor that is MAF sensor "Mass air flow" don't mess with that or the Jeep will start to mess up and bad things will happen.

As for the Baffles I'm not sure what you are talking about. I don't remember seeing any.. but then again it was a few years ago when I put mine in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway ditch Flex.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	639081  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 02-28-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, but to clarify: These are the baffles I'm referring to: MOPAR 4627065AD - MOPAR® Air Cleaner Hose for 12-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec It looks like some sort of the human digestive system, rather than an intake! I'm thinking about replacing the stock rubber tubing with aluminum and re-installing the unknown sensor
in the same place.

Quick Reply: Questions for those with snorkels