Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Questions on labor hours so I don't get ripped off

Old 02-03-2015, 03:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Few comments here to save you money and your buddy from needless work.

1. AEV track bars aren't high clearance, so double check the new diff covers will clear (many won't).

2. Unless your ball joints are bad, leave them in. If he has any experience behind a torch, he can weld the gussets on without the ball joints getting damaged.

3. Based on your lack of time to wrench, you probably don't have much time to wheel it either (totally fine). Between that and the small tires, beadlocks really aren't useful and create a large cost.

Now, Northridge is correct that in general, regular maintenance in minimal. However, when you have any type of tire related issue (balance, wear, damage, etc), it's a massive pain in the a##. There's a member on here with beadlocks that could convince most people to skip them. He's local to me and the time and cost involved is purely insane. Problem is, he can't service them himself and most shops won't touch them. The couple that will, want $$$$ every time.

This is coming from someone running beadlocks and I've been through the process many times. I loath working on them. And I would never ask someone to do it for me (too much work and in my opinion, only the owner should ever mount them as it has to be done right and with care).
Old 02-03-2015, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
This is a bit excessive. I check mine every oil change and I find about 1 loose one a year.

David
Fair enough, but you still check them. I'm doubting this guy owns a wrench.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares if he wants bead locks, who cares about why he's putting in me ball joints, who cares about if he's wheeling it.. To the OP it's you jeep do as you please, just do your research when it comes to your mods and any maintance required for safety reasons.

Now to your original question, I install lift kits at the dealership I work for and we charge $850-$1000 for full lift kits depending on height (not spacer lift or leveling kits) now I i were to put a dollar amount Id say $2500-$2800, which equals out to 25-30hrs depending on labor rate.

If I were your buddy Id charge you $1100-$1200 which would be about 1/2 the cost of taking it to a shop.

Good luck. If you were close Id offer to do everything since I have all tools needed including, tire mounter & balancer, laser alignment machine, and welder.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK_Crawler
Who cares if he wants bead locks, who cares about why he's putting in me ball joints, who cares about if he's wheeling it.. To the OP it's you jeep do as you please, just do your research when it comes to your mods and any maintance required for safety reasons. Now to your original question, I install lift kits at the dealership I work for and we charge $850-$1000 for full lift kits depending on height (not spacer lift or leveling kits) now I i were to put a dollar amount Id say $2500-$2800, which equals out to 25-30hrs depending on labor rate. If I were your buddy Id charge you $1100-$1200 which would be about 1/2 the cost of taking it to a shop. Good luck. If you were close Id offer to do everything since I have all tools needed including, tire mounter & balancer, laser alignment machine, and welder.
Excuse the collective for attempting to save the guy money on stuff he doesn't need. God forbid anyone question someone that is going to throw money away. Everyone knows the real purpose of this forum isn't to educate, but rather reaffirm people making stupid decisions.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JE8154
Excuse the collective for attempting to save the guy money on stuff he doesn't need. God forbid anyone question someone that is going to throw money away. Everyone knows the real purpose of this forum isn't to educate, but rather reaffirm people making stupid decisions.
He works at a dealership, of course they will not tell anyone they shouldnt buy things.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK_Crawler
Who cares if he wants bead locks, who cares about why he's putting in me ball joints, who cares about if he's wheeling it.. To the OP it's you jeep do as you please, just do your research when it comes to your mods and any maintance required for safety reasons.
Straight from the stealerships mouth. Nice.

There are lots of reasons people care. If the OP can't maintain them properly, it is a danger to himself and others. If he hasn't owned them, he may not know the potential hassles and costs involved (you know, like the people who let their dealership sell and install a lift and then come on here so we can help fix all the problems and mistakes and empathize with them for over paying for a garbage lift and labor by technicians who likely don't even know how to set a torque wrench). You're no different than the mortgage companies that damn near sank our country during the last decade. "Hey, who cares if that house is twice what he can afford, the guy can get a loan. Let him do what he wants." How did that work out? You'll do a lot better in life when you realize that everyone around you has insight and value to offer. Often times, what is right, is not what you want.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
Why are you getting bead locks and are you prepared to check torque on them every few hundred miles? If you don't actually need bead locks I would suggest you get normal wheels instead
Why are you replacing the inner axle seals on a 2013? are they leaking?

If this is your friend that you want to help out by paying him why are you worried he is going to rip you off?
Now that a buddy is doing the work, it's about him being concerned about not ripping ME off since he's used to doing foreign versus domestic (Toyota/Rover vs Jeep).

Heard checking torque every oil change is good unless you go wheeling hard.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

You know what's sad...I have been a sports car person for 20+ years and switched to a 4runner and JK a few years ago. I said to myself, "What cool, kick a$$ nice people there are on the forums and they're really cool in person too!"

For the most part, the responses I've received on this thread have affirmed that. On the other hand, based on some of the responses here, the same holier than thou, screw those new to the scene, make a judgement call on someone whom you have never met let alone have one clue about crappy attitude that lives in the sports car world is alive and well even here in the Jeep world and forums.

To those who have given constructive criticism and advice, thank you very much I hope to repay the favor to you one day.

To those who think I've never turned a wrench before, perhaps you should try running a few laps with some of the BMW, Porche. Audi, Ferrari or Lambo egomaniacs - you'd fit right in.

PS Knowing that you do NOT know everything and knowing that turning a wrench on an M3 race car is NOT the same as turning a wrench on a lifted Jeep is what separates a smart person from a not-so-smart person and ego from humility.

Thanks again to those who chimed in with constructive criticism and advice. Much appreciated!
Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I literally have no time to help him nor do it myself because I'm out of town a ton for work. Question is, what's fair for him helping me out.
Just a comment on this. A lot of the aftermarket suspension/steering components come with grease zerks that will need to be maintained. At that lift height, you should also expect to add an aftermarket front driveshaft at some point, which will come with a few zerks (4?). Some of them can be gotten to with it installed, but for the centering ball at the tcase you will need to remove the shaft. (not complicated, just worth mentioning...)
Old 02-04-2015, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Straight from the stealerships mouth. Nice.

There are lots of reasons people care. If the OP can't maintain them properly, it is a danger to himself and others. If he hasn't owned them, he may not know the potential hassles and costs involved (you know, like the people who let their dealership sell and install a lift and then come on here so we can help fix all the problems and mistakes and empathize with them for over paying for a garbage lift and labor by technicians who likely don't even know how to set a torque wrench). You're no different than the mortgage companies that damn near sank our country during the last decade. "Hey, who cares if that house is twice what he can afford, the guy can get a loan. Let him do what he wants." How did that work out? You'll do a lot better in life when you realize that everyone around you has insight and value to offer. Often times, what is right, is not what you want.
What am I stealing? I'm sure if the OP has the money to get the parts, he has it to have parts maintained. Also him maintaining the jeep doesn't matter, yes it's a potential danger to himself and others. But I'm sure your not going around worrying about every car on the road or the OP for that matter... People neglect to maintain their vehicles everyday so your comment makes no sense in regards to his future mods. Are you out there offering to help fix people's vehicles? Nope you and others are sitting behind the computer bashing him because he wants to mod his jeep and doesn't have time and is trying to seek advice on what's fair for him and his buddy/friend.

What's a morgage have to do with the OP's question? What's does it have to do with me? I don't sell mortgages and I don't sell lift kits... I install them and they are installed correctly and are scheduled to come back after 500miles for a inspection and re-torque of necessary components. Don't get me confused with half the automotive industry, because I have pride in what I do and want every vehicle to be as safe as my own. Also my " who cares" comments were for all those that were bashing the OP for not putting in the wrench time himself, if you were one of them I can see why you are but hurt lol.. If not I don't understand why you went off on a tangent, but hey if that's what makes you happy continue on. I build my jeep for myself and others on here claim to do the same, then get bashed for reasons like those posted in here. Point I was making is answer the mans question and press on, instead of saying this is pointless or you should do it yourself and then bashing him when he says he doesn't have the time. Time is money for most people and obviously his time is precisious to him.

The aftermarket automotive industry is a billion dollar industry and because of people like the OP and others, small business are able to make a living installing these parts because they don't have the time or skill. Does that make them any less apart of the jeep community, it shouldn't but others give another impression with their jackass comments. Don't knock him down for seeking someone else's help for what ever reason. The best constructive advice was to have a get together of fellow jeepers to help the guy out..

Also you might want to read that last 2 sentences you wrote and maybe seek your own advice... I'll quote it for you incase you don't recall what you wrote.

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
You'll do a lot better in life when you realize that everyone around you has insight and value to offer. Often times, what is right, is not what you want.

Quick Reply: Questions on labor hours so I don't get ripped off