Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Questions about Rubicon axles

Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Rubicon axles

I ordered front and rear rubicon axles for my 2-door JK. Has anyone had any problems with driveshafts while doing this upgrade? I was also wondering what others are doing for switching on and off the lockers? What type of switches are you using and where are you locating the switches?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

shafts should be the same.

As far as switches, you can order a wiring harness from mopar, swap out your dash switch and install the mopar switch. It'll be just like factory.

4wd carries the parts if your dealer cant get them.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

I like the idea of keeping the factory look but I would like to control front and rear locker seperately. Any suggestions?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep me updated. I'm very interested in this install! Where did you pick up the axles? And is this an easy bolt-up deal?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

We just did this swap on a second JK this week. Ours was a week or two ago. They are 100% bolt in, even ship from MOPAR with gear oil in them. If you have a low mile JK you can remove your calipers from the D30F and D44R, suspend them with wire or zip tie, remove the "X" axles, roll the Rubi models under, remove the new calipers, attach the rubi axle and drop your old calipers on the rubi axles and drive away. If not you'll have to bleed brakes.
The swap with basic tools and some basic mechanical knowledge can be done easily in one hour per end, a little more if you decide to swap the new calipers in and have to bleed brakes. FYI the brakes are identical for both sets of axles...

Still working on wiring them. Have circuits tested and am building a wiring harness and switch panel. More details and a write-up to come when we get it done. I too want control of the lockers, not the computer.

Bob
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

is the a harness that comes off the axle? or two wires?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm... $3000 to bolt up new axles with lockers and 4.10 gears.... or $1300 (give or take) to have new gears installed into the stock axles???
Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Hmmm... $3000 to bolt up new axles with lockers and 4.10 gears.... or $1300 (give or take) to have new gears installed into the stock axles???
Or $1600 for selectable lockers + $1300 for gears + costs for installation of switches, control lines, etc = $3000+

If 4.10 gears meet your needs, and you want lockers, the ease of installing the axles has value.

SV
Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sv650
Or $1600 for selectable lockers + $1300 for gears + costs for installation of switches, control lines, etc = $3000+

If 4.10 gears meet your needs, and you want lockers, the ease of installing the axles has value.

SV
Not to mention the upgrade of a DANA 44 in the front. Even better upgrade IF you have the 35 REAR!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
...As far as switches, you can order a wiring harness from mopar, swap out your dash switch and install the mopar switch. It'll be just like factory.

4wd carries the parts if your dealer cant get them.
Do you know anyone who has successfully done this with the factory harness and switches? I wasn't able to locate a part number to even get the plug for the locker actuator. Wouldn't this require an entire engine compartment harness and reprogramming of the computer to recognize the lockers? What is the cost? I made my own wiring, switch and relay for about $20. I put the switch in the blank lower center dash panel. It works great.

Quick Reply: Questions about Rubicon axles