Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Questions about my new Crager Softs/MT

Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my new Crager Softs/MT

So I finally joined the cult, ditched my 18" duelers and got some Rubi Take off KMs 32, with 17x8 Crager soft 8.

So when i was having them mounted, they mentioned that the hub opening diameter in the wheel is bigger than the hub itself, ie it produces a gap seen here:

see the edge of the black against the hub, and the little space?

The tire place, which i trust about as far as I can throw them, said this might cause vibrating down the line, so many people on here run these wheels, and we all have the same hub size, so everyone must have that gap....problem or not? does this have something to do with being hub-centric vs. lug centric?

Also this is my first time on M/Ts, I was a long time WRX guy before the move to the sahara, so bear with me... the pitter patter like noise coming from the tires.... that's the standard M/T noise correct?

thanks guys. Loving life!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont have a problem with these. The tension on the wheel is placed on the tapered holes that your lug nuts are tightened on. The hub doesnt support your wheel. They probably told you that to remove any liability for a poor balancing job. Thats just my .02 cents. I worked at a tire shop for 5 years before joining the military and that sounds about par. Youll be fine with the humm you hear...that is normal. Check for uneven wear on the tires ( lugs shorter than others) as this is a sign that your ball joints or shocks are going bad.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wheels aren't "hub centric" like stock.
It's no biggy, I've been running 15x8 Cragars for a while with no issues...except the whole needing spacers cause they don't actually fit thing lol
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
The wheels aren't "hub centric" like stock.
It's no biggy, I've been running 15x8 Cragars for a while with no issues...except the whole needing spacers cause they don't actually fit thing lol
wait what? why do you need spacers? do I?

mine are 17x8 4.5 backspace with 255/75/17, from what i gather they shouldn't be running anywhere.

a few observations from the first 30 miles:

seems to be a bit more resistance in first gear, almost like a little more inertia to overcome... is that normal for a m/t?

secondly, and i think this is because of the heavier steel wheels, the brakes feel just a tad, tad, tad less responsive, slower to the stop.

lastly and most conercening, the jeep seems to have a slight but noticeable pull to the right.... which it didn't have before the tire/wheel swap.... is this a poorly balanced tire? need an alignment? both?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have changed a few things here....the M/T tire is going to ride and sound different. The aftermarket wheel is going to have a different backspacing so the track is going to be wider...you are going to find new areas on the road, those ruts you used to drive in are gone.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

something tells me there is something wrong with the front wheel:

noise heard here at 22 seconds and on

http://youtu.be/iUQcKQTZk9Y taking it to a different shop to be remounted and balanced, weights moved to inside and a few other things looked at.

frustrated.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had those wheels for just about a year ....ask the shop to stud/finger balance them it improved the ride on mine big time... i was running cagar soft 8 with hankook MT 285/70/17 at the time..

Quick Reply: Questions about my new Crager Softs/MT