Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

questions about adding a 2.5" budget boost lift

Old 09-18-2014, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post questions about adding a 2.5" budget boost lift

so i scored a set of the teraflex 2.5" budget boost spacers only. in looking at the teraflex kit, they also include other parts:

- front/rear bumpstops
- rear trackbar bracket
- rear brake line extension
- front/rear shock extensions
- rear sway bar link

what i'm wondering is, which of these are really necessary and not just good to have?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MEinSoCal
so i scored a set of the teraflex 2.5" budget boost spacers only. in looking at the teraflex kit, they also include other parts:

- front/rear bumpstops
- rear trackbar bracket
- rear brake line extension
- front/rear shock extensions
- rear sway bar link

what i'm wondering is, which of these are really necessary and not just good to have?
All of them are good to have, hence the kit. In reality you dont need anything else to get a lift. But, all those pieces would be the proper way to do it. I highly suggest reading dirtmans sticky. It talks alot about the different parts of the suspension, which could narrow down which items you would "need" based on any budget (if applicable)! My is to get everything in the kit.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Its the domino affect. The suspension and steering system is basically a complex geometry equation and when you change one variable (height) other things become out of whack.

If you just add the 2.5" spacer you will gain 2.5" of height. If everything else on your jeep is stock you will gain 2.5" of belly clearance, increase your approach angle, break over angle, and decent angles. Ground clearance will not change, nor will suspension travel. Actually you will gain 2.5" of up travel and loose 2.5" of down travel leaving you with about 2.5" of available droop. You will also lower the center of gravity on your jeep making it feel more unstable (which it is) in off camber situations and in high speed cornering. Your driveshafts will operate at a greater angle. You steering will feel a bit light due to the loss of caster, your front and rear axles will not travel in the same path, and you will loose a bit of wheel base.

The good thing is that up to 2.5" these changes are minimal and these side affect are not enough to be detrimental to the ride. Once you go over the 2.5" things like steering and ride degrade quickly.

IF your jeep is not taken off road you should be fine just installing the 2.5" spacer. I would stress to watch cornering at speed as the lack off available droop and decreased center of gravity it will be easier to roll the jeep since you may fully extend the shock and lift the axle off the ground.

Good luck with your build.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say those other components are necessary. They will prevent other things from getting damaged. And keep the jeep driving smoothly. The BB kit is relatively inexpensive, and would suggest getting the other parts, or just buy a new kit.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for the input. We'll be sourcing out all the parts lacking -- rear bumpstops, rear sway bar link, and brake line extension. Turns out in addition to the budget boost, my buddy also gave me the shock extensions and the front bumpstops.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm about to lift my 2014 Polar 4 door and it is my DD while I occasionally hit up the dirt and mud trails. But I am looking at between a 2.5 to a 3.5 inch lift. I will run 35s but my question is I am going to upgrade the shocks and coils no matter what lift I get but do I need extra accessories as in adjustable control arms, trac bars or steering stabilizer? Like how important are those things if it is my DD? And also can my stock polar which runs the 3.10 I believe, can that withstand my 35s or do I need to go to the 3.73?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Yes, except for the steering stabilizer. The factory one is fine and people just throw money away upgrading that part. The need for added components or relocation brackets is more improtant for your saftey on road then off road. At 3.5" of lift you should figuring on adding driveshafts at some point as well. Read the stikcies that are listed at the top of the modified section and you will have pretty much everything you need to know.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alright cool will take a look! So just for clarity, for a 2.5 inch lift yes to:
Shocks
Coils
Control arms
Trac bar
And regear to 3.73?

And for regearing I'm not sure what axels I have. 2014 polar 4 door NO tow package, so is it just Dana 30s front and back? So is that mean 3.10 front and back?

And also do I just need to regear back or both?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I lied I have Dana 30s upfront and Dana 44s in rear with 3.21 ratio
Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You have a dana 30 front dana 44 rear.
Check your build sheet as you could have 3.21 gears or 3.73 from the factory. I would guess 3.21 but check the sheet. I would think you would regear to 4.10 or if you think you might get bigger later down the road 4.56.
You do realize a gear swap will cost around $1500-2000 on the east coast. Its not a first time do it yourself install.
Both front and rear will have to be regeared or the gear box will explode.

Quick Reply: questions about adding a 2.5" budget boost lift