Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question for wheeling dads

Old 11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for wheeling dads

Im ready to make a desicion but one thing isholding me back. My wife dog and son all love my jeep. We take it everywhere beach camping Hiking trip sunday drives and i wheel it twice a month. I dont want to jepordize my saftey at all. But want to givemy jeep more articulation and a larger tire. If youguys say its perectly safe then ill go with a 35 inche tire but im wondering if the 33 is gonn abe the way to go.

Factors

Gas Milage (not to much really)
Saftey
Ride Quality

Thanks for your help
Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Honestly it depends on what kind of wheeling you do. I have 35's and take my 3yr old son with me. I think it is perfectly safe as long as I don't get too crazy.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lifted my Jeep I had concerns about how it would drive since my wife would be behind the wheel at times.

I took the steps to make sure that everything would be right after the lift. Such as adjustable control arms and trakbars, to make sure the Jeep handled right.

I can tell you I am 100% confident with the lift and tires

If you are concerned, don't take any shortcuts and do it right.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

I run 37's on a two door. It is very safe. And I do a lot of highway driving including freeways!On the trail... well then it would just depend on what kind of riding you do and what kind of driver you are. But I can see your concern on and off the road.
Even in a two door I would say that a 35 would be VERY safe.
Take care.
Bill
Old 11-14-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubican!
Im ready to make a desicion but one thing isholding me back. My wife dog and son all love my jeep. We take it everywhere beach camping Hiking trip sunday drives and i wheel it twice a month. I dont want to jepordize my saftey at all. But want to givemy jeep more articulation and a larger tire. If youguys say its perectly safe then ill go with a 35 inche tire but im wondering if the 33 is gonn abe the way to go.

Factors

Gas Milage (not to much really)
Saftey
Ride Quality

Thanks for your help
I have twin 7 y/o girls and believe me I sold a couple nice daddy cars and boats to get something safe and sane to run around with the family. You really cannot go wrong with a JK. Many of the trail pics show familys and pups along for the ride. I have mine with a 5" lift on 35's and it is safe as stock. Good choice of vehicle. You won't go wrong.

I built this last, too loud, too windy, too dusty, The JK wins them over...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	August 05 003 (Large).jpg
Views:	432
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	15585  

Last edited by Leave Town; 11-14-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will echo the same sentiments above. I have a 3YO boy, 11YO daughter, and a wonderful supportive wife and we often all go jeeping together. I have no additional safety concerns when they are with me, but they do get out when I play on some tougher obstacles. I don't think any well-built jeep poses additional hazards for driving with a family, just don't skimp on the important things like ensuring your lug nuts are on tight, tires in good condition, and your breaks are maintained, no different than any other vehicle. The jeepers I run with are some of the best family oriented folks I have ever met!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Size doesn’t matter
It’s how you drive
Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

As long as YOU know when to stop ( wife tells you ) . I didnt. First came the Dana 60's, then the 40" Iroks, then, the AMC 360. Ended up with this.....

The wife wouldnt go anywhere near it. I eneded up wheeling it TWICE, in the past two years. So...... I got this ......

Now, she will come anywhere with me. Its all about balance. My JK wont go where my YJ did, but it will go where my wife and i want to go. Im kinda happy, shes really happy, thats all that matters.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny Kustom
Now, she will come anywhere with me. Its all about balance. My JK wont go where my YJ did, but it will go where my wife and i want to go. Im kinda happy, shes really happy, thats all that matters.
EXACT same boat as me. Nice YJ. I guess it pays to compromise...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by barneskh
Size doesn’t matter
It’s how you drive
Let me be the first on this one...THATS WHAT SHE SAID! (rimshot)

Quick Reply: Question for wheeling dads