Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question for those with the Hypertech programmer?

Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important if you plan more engine / exhaust mods

Well, for good or bad I received the answer to my problem today. Due to the fact I'm running an Airaid intake and throttle body, headers and a cat back the Hypertech is causing my engine to run too lean. They do not have a program for engine mods to include air filters. The two programs that are included with the unit are for completely stock engines and exhaust. They suggested to reload the factory program and said they may eventually have support for performance air filters but that's it.

I now have a $350.00 speedo adjustment tool.

On the bright side, their support is very responsive...
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

In my experience with tuning, you might be better to hold off until a unit with data logging becomes available. "Canned tunes" are not worth that much IMHO. With data logging you log how your vehicle is actually functioning, and then write the tune (shift points, advance of spark, disable long term knock, mess with torque management, etc...) as is appropriate to how you drive and how your vehicle runs. I have yet to see an example of this for the JK platform, but I could be wrong. If you feel you really need programming now due to a full exhaust or towing needs, I'd buy a used JET Stage II chip for $100~$150 and throw in a $20 180° thermostat. Your mileage may vary.
Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Default How 'bout TC Lockup?

Can this device influence TC lockup, too? This JK, in OD lockout, won't lock the TC in 3rd until it reaches 55mph and that's just too high. Should be 35mph to suit me, and I think it was before "they" flashed the CPU awhile back. Can it set TC lockup speeds?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed my Hypertech after I drove around on 35's, AEM intake and Banks exhaust for 6 months. I have a standard transmission, and I can feel a great improvement in responsiveness, and torque. The onboard says I'm getting 16.9 average mpg on almost every tank. I live in Germany, the back road speed limit is 100kph (about 60mph) and ofcoarse the Autobahn lets you open it up. I usually travel on the Autobahn at about 130 -140 kph (80-85mph) and before I installed the Hypertech, I couldn't even use 6th gear. The 35's drained too much power to keep up the speed. Hell, I almost couldn't leave it in 5th very long without having to down shift to catch up to traffic. Now I cruise in 5th at 80 -85 mph, and still have some power. So I don't think it's a placebo. Along with the spedo calibration, I did some power back. I recommend it to anyone.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-linux
In my experience with tuning, you might be better to hold off until a unit with data logging becomes available. "Canned tunes" are not worth that much IMHO. With data logging you log how your vehicle is actually functioning, and then write the tune (shift points, advance of spark, disable long term knock, mess with torque management, etc...) as is appropriate to how you drive and how your vehicle runs. I have yet to see an example of this for the JK platform, but I could be wrong. If you feel you really need programming now due to a full exhaust or towing needs, I'd buy a used JET Stage II chip for $100~$150 and throw in a $20 180° thermostat. Your mileage may vary.
Cheers,
Dave
It may be available for the mini-van the engine came out of. Much like the dodge trucks can swap with other hemi laden vehicles.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Did anyone else notice that the programmer works on JK's and Hemi's?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dano9969
Well, for good or bad I received the answer to my problem today. Due to the fact I'm running an Airaid intake and throttle body, headers and a cat back the Hypertech is causing my engine to run too lean. They do not have a program for engine mods to include air filters. The two programs that are included with the unit are for completely stock engines and exhaust. They suggested to reload the factory program and said they may eventually have support for performance air filters but that's it.

Motorvation in TN can tune your computer any way you want.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
Motorvation in TN can tune your computer any way you want.
Sweet, I'm going to have to check them out. B&G was the only other place that I heard did tuning for the 3.8L power train. Now to find a cam and some heads!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
Did anyone else notice that the programmer works on JK's and Hemi's?
Yeah mine says on the back it works for the jeep and a dodge hemi truck.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dano9969

So nobody is running the max programmer with a cool air intake?

Quick Reply: Question for those with the Hypertech programmer?