Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question for those with the Hypertech programmer?

Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with the Hypertech programmer?

I have read post after post on this and I just can't decide on what to do. So many people have had problems with these, that I'm a little leary about getting one. I want to get my speedo set right. I know it's an 11hp gain, but Alot of people don't think it was worth it. What I am wondering is are you happy with the programmer, or do you wish you would have got the Accu Pro instead, and made a gear change? I know Hypertech makes both these units. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about this.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Really the difference is on what your trying to accomplish.

I have the hypertech max energy and have been happy. The one most often missed point on using a programer, IMO, is that the ecu requires a lot of "training" time. So you wont see the total effect until after about 1100 miles. You will be able to set your gears and tire size ( measure the tires and don't go by the stated size) which will allow you rig to run properly and if its an auto will greatly help the engine shift at the correct times.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Hypertech Max Energy and love it! I change the tire size, gears, fan temp, and use the Regular Power Programmer. Really notice a difference when I return it to stock. I don't feel as much difference when I try the Premium Power Programmer other than it hurts more at the pump.

I've programmed the Jeep and returned it to stock at least 20 times. Never a glitch.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

It is a good investment for calibrating your Jeep. It also helps if you have an auto to correct its shift points. A little pricey but a good product.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Ok...

Educate me here.

Does the hypertech plug in and you change the parameters and then you can unplug it?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

If you have an auto, it is worth it to get the max energy to reset the shift points. If not... Well... you have already read everyone's opinions so I won't bore you with that all over again.

One of these weeks I am going to set mine back to stock for a few weeks to see if I can tell the difference. Either way, I will keep it for when I regear and add 35's, but it would be good to reconfirm my purchase. (or not)
Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big A
Ok...

Educate me here.

Does the hypertech plug in and you change the parameters and then you can unplug it?
Yes, you plug it in - turn the jeep on, do your programming - it uploads the new firmware - and you unplug it. Or at least thats how the AccuPro operates.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

That is good info!

Now, I just need to borrow one...

BTW Ross, I do have an Automatic.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was worth it to me (at least in the sense of the difference between a cheaper calibrator and the Max Energy). Overall it's way too highly priced but I understand that the programming that goes into it is going to be very expensive.

I'm realistic and I knew what I was going to be getting. You cannot get much power out of a computer controlled engine without something radical. I was happy with the improved shifting and better throttle response (very happy with the latter).
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Big A
Ok...

Educate me here.

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Yes, you plug it in - turn the jeep on, do your programming - it uploads the new firmware - and you unplug it. Or at least thats how the AccuPro operates.
Yes, that is how it works.

I have had mine for several months now and the only problem I ran into was operator error, but once I got myself straightened out it worked fine.

Quick Reply: Question for those with the Hypertech programmer?