Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question regarding trimmed fenders

Old 06-28-2018, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't know about that, these were my 35's at full stuff. I think if I left a lip on and turned the wheel there would be some interference. I guess a lot depends on the rest of your setup

Old 06-28-2018, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

So many different variables from jeep to jeep when it comes to stuffing tires. Tire size, wheel backspace, lift, bumpstop, adjustable control arms......just one of those things hard to compare and make general statements of "with ____ tire size and ___ amount of lift, you do or do not need to trim." I'd say most probably have to cut off the part where it bends down.....but, when it comes to cutting, you can always cut more......you can't glue it back on!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wasn’t thinking outside the box when I replied last night. It was late, and I was exhausted! I think resharp001 covered everything I should have said though! Too many different variables. If you do plan to cut, I recommend using painters tape and a jigsaw. It cut through mine like butter with no melting issues.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jsukey
I wasn’t thinking outside the box when I replied last night. It was late, and I was exhausted! I think resharp001 covered everything I should have said though! Too many different variables. If you do plan to cut, I recommend using painters tape and a jigsaw. It cut through mine like butter with no melting issues.
That's something I haven't tried yet.. I did my flares with a Dremel which creates the melting problems but they came out pretty well anyway. The next set I did I masked with painters tape and just ran a razor blade down the lines. It took a few passes but the cuts were very clean and straight. I never thought about a jigsaw, seems like it would fit the bill well though.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I did a chalk line then followed it with the harbor freight body saw w/ fine tooth blade. It was fast and with the speed that it cuts/ melts, you don't have to worry about the cut falling off and making for an awkward cut. It barely hangs on until you give it a little tug. Fresh blades made for cleaner cuts. It tears through the fender liners like cutting cake.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I used the dremel on my first fender, then quickly threw it aside for the jig saw. Blue painters tape to make my marks, dremel on the inner front corners near the paint, and jig saw to the rest. Finished the edges with a file, and automotive door edge trim.

Sorry, I don't have any clean pics at the moment...just broke another phone and didn't back up the photos. My buddy with the maroon JKUR ditched his inner supports and trimmed his fenders way more aggressively than mine. He paired them with Ace inner fenders, and it looks pretty sleek.

I don't get any front fender flop unless I'm going over 80mph and there's some wind. Here you can kind of see how much I cut my inner supports to still be stable:

And here you can see how I trimmed the front factory inner fender liners to tuck into the body. I fully ditched the rears and bedlined the wheel wells:

Quick Reply: Question regarding trimmed fenders