Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question re Bumpers/Winches

Old 02-22-2021, 02:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re Bumpers/Winches

Hello all.
I bought my Jeep sometime ago and without research and as a newbie to the Jeep community, added Tube Bumpers. I love the bumpers except that after I got them and had them installed, I learned about Winches.

Is it possible to get a winch installed after the fact to my existing bumper? (I have Rampage Double Tube bumpers). Or will I need to swap out my bumper for one with a winch?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Yeah! Looking at the internet picture of that bumper I would say you need to take it off and modify it between the tubes for rope clearance and mount one small plate each side of the rope opening for the Fairlead. Then fit a winch mounting plate between the chassis rails and relocate the vacuum pump. Mount the winch first before doing the bumper mods if that is the route you go. Then you will have to touch up the coating.
The following users liked this post:
BamJamFam (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I don't think the tubes need modifying. Quick glance at the picture of this bumper makes me think add a simple winch plate and the winch is going to be sitting above that top tube, similar to how one would sit on a non-recessed bumper (basing that opinion on pics of the top bar relative to the grill). Simple fairlead added and think you'd be in biz, though this is going to require a little more effort, research, and install and simply adding a different bumper. (Nothing is as easy as it should be)
The following users liked this post:
BamJamFam (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both very much for replying. I'll do some research on winch plates and how to go about mounting them
Old 02-23-2021, 04:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Maybe snap a couple pictures of your actual jeep. It's hard to tell on a few stock photos online how that bumper mounts up and what it looks like on top of your frame rails in front of the grill where the winch would sit. The idea here is a winch plate is just going to sit on top of those frame rails and then the winch on top of the plate. You'll get the idea here with my front end how the winch would simply sit above the frame rails. You can take a look where you tubes sit relative to the frame rails and have a good idea if you'd have to modify or not, though I think you might be ok.

Quick Reply: Question re Bumpers/Winches