Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question on powder coating stock wheels

Old 08-27-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dannytr84
Did you guys that used the bedliner spray dismount your tires from the rims, or did you just pop the wheels off the jeep and tape the tires?
I remove tires from Jeep, Remove Center cap (as i wanted to keep that chrome), Sanded, Cleaned with Acetone,Masked and sprayed. Did about 4 coats over the course of hour and a half per wheel

Also i tried using primer on my first rim, Even after letting dry for a day, i was able to peel the paint off with my fingernail. So i stripped it and didnt use primer. Worked great without, dry to touch within hours

One more thing, I suggest buying a pistol grip as it will save alot of time and make the process much easier...wish i knew they existed before i did this

Heres a few links too, hope they help
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...r-stock-wheels
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d-stock-wheels
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...inting-Process
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0049..jpg
Views:	106
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	83977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0031..jpg
Views:	81
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	83978  

Last edited by Croce; 08-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Croce
I remove tires from Jeep, Remove Center cap (as i wanted to keep that chrome), Sanded, Cleaned with Acetone,Masked and sprayed. Did about 4 coats over the course of hour and a half per wheel

Also i tried using primer on my first rim, Even after letting dry for a day, i was able to peel the paint off with my fingernail. So i stripped it and didnt use primer. Worked great without, dry to touch within hours
X2 on Croce's process.
No primer. I taped up, scuffed and cleaned with rubbing alcohol and made and assembly line of sorts. Prep one wheel and do first coat. Do the same for the second and third and then you're about ready to go back to the first wheel for a second coat, and so on. Did 3 coats for mine altogether and was done in about 5 hours. Also, I covered the lug holes with some smalled disks about the size of a quarter to keep that surface clean.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome guys, thanks!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Thank you all, great ideas and tips.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
X2 on Croce's process.
No primer. I taped up, scuffed and cleaned with rubbing alcohol and made and assembly line of sorts. Prep one wheel and do first coat. Do the same for the second and third and then you're about ready to go back to the first wheel for a second coat, and so on. Did 3 coats for mine altogether and was done in about 5 hours. Also, I covered the lug holes with some smalled disks about the size of a quarter to keep that surface clean.
I didn't use bedliner. I used engine enamel paint. I sanded (400 grit), primed 2x, 2x Black, 1x clear. Here is my thread about it

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=vaughtra
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
If you plan on wheeling in the rocks at all, I'd suggest bedlining your wheels rather than powdercoating them. Powdercoating looks great, but eventually they can and probably will get hacked up. If you paint them yourself, you can touch up as necesary and know it will always match plus waaaay cheaper. Few good write-ups and threads on here about it. Heres a pic of mine I did a few weeks ago. Just my .02

I like the way your rims look. Do you have any close up pics and what brand bedliner did you use?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dammit - one more thing I am going to have to do before it gets too cold around here. I am still considering soft 8s in the near future when I need new rubber.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its like 75 dollars a wheel to powder coat, if you want it done right and believe me its well worth it. The paint scratches real easy and will not hold up!! Spend the money!!

JUST SAYING.............
Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by EN2DIRT
I like the way your rims look. Do you have any close up pics and what brand bedliner did you use?
used the Rustoleum, there have been a lot of guys on here who have, and it works great. Sorry, no close-ups.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Paulsonic
Its like 75 dollars a wheel to powder coat, if you want it done right and believe me its well worth it. The paint scratches real easy and will not hold up!! Spend the money!!

JUST SAYING.............
Everything scratches, it's just a matter of how easily. Personally, I lean toward a finish I can repair myself.

Quick Reply: Question on powder coating stock wheels