Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question on installing new coils.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 AM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on installing new coils.

Rough Country has replaced my sagging coils in my 2.5" lift. My question is, do I need to pull everything apart to get the new springs in, or is there some way for me to get the old ones out and the new ones in easily?

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:41 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Youre going to have to do everything all over again.. Now would be a good time to rethink your suspension plans and add or replace any components like shocks, bump stops, trackbars, etc.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with BKW. But if you just want to replace the coils, you'll have to disconnect the sway bar links and disconnect the bottom of the shocks to allow the axle to move enough to replace the springs.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

If by redoing "everything" you mean unbolting the bottom of the sways and shocks (2 bolts each side), taking out the coil, and putting the new in, yes...

It's really not that hard or shouldn't take that long though, especially just for the rear (or did they give you all 4 coils? I only got 2 rear replaced front seem fine)...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KSRubicon
I agree with BKW. But if you just want to replace the coils, you'll have to disconnect the sway bar links and disconnect the bottom of the shocks to allow the axle to move enough to replace the springs.
X2. Also if you need more room you can jack up the opposite side of the axle, that will drop the other side lower, and you can have someone stand on the rotor to lower it more.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Castalone
X2. Also if you need more room you can jack up the opposite side of the axle, that will drop the other side lower, and you can have someone stand on the rotor to lower it more.
X3....if you just need a 1/2 inch or less....I took a ratchet strap and ratcheted it up enough to squeeze my taller coils. Just be sure it's a newer strap!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Don't forget to disconnect brakeline/E brake brackets and axle breather tube.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
Don't forget to disconnect brakeline/E brake brackets and axle breather tube.
I did not need to disconnect the brakeline...the only time you would need to disconnect the brake line is if you are changing out your brakelines for longer ones. I just unbolted the caliper from the rotor got an old wire hanger and hung the caliper up in the fender well so it's out of your way. Then I did the cheapo brake bracket re-locate to extend my lines more.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I never disconnected my brake lines either... but i did relocate them 3" lower than stock so...

The breather tube was stretched tight for me, but I didn't pull that off either and got the springs out...
Old 03-31-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Sorry, I meant Brackets.

Quick Reply: Question on installing new coils.