Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question on evo rock sliders

Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on evo rock sliders

If I have the evo rock sliders welded on and then want to add the rock skins afterwards would the rails be in the way of any of the holes I would need to drill to get them on? I've never seen either product in person, but I want to get rid of my ACE rock rails ASAP. Reducing the costs by adding the rock skins later would make this easier.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

i just installed both on my 2dr and i would recommend doing the skins first. There are several of the holes that will be hard to drill with the sliders in place. Additionally, they recommend you use a rivet tool that would again be hard to use with the slider installed. I think "technically" it can be done, but it was hard enough to get the skins on with the sliders not installed, I can't imagine doing it with the sliders there.

My other hint is be careful and take your time. If you make any of the holes too big the rivets don't want to stay put. I also recommend picking up the rivet tool it makes it 100 times easier.

Huck
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Fair enough, thanks. I'll do the skins this month and the rails next month.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I ask why you want to get rid of the ACE rails asap?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

They aren't as strong as they should be. I had one put a dimple in my pinch seam after dropping on a rock. They are ok for mild use and can't beat them in their price range but I'm starting to want to try harder trails which has me wanting to get better protection.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you can put the rock skins on after.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
Yes, you can put the rock skins on after.
Would it be a pain in the ass though? I guess with a right angle drill it wouldn't be too much of an issue but, I don't own one...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have them in combination with the original rock sliders?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

If you are welding the rock sliders on I would really make sure you get the skins on first. The armor is not that hard if you have a hand or good C clamps. Like someone said earlier make sure you get the right rivet kit from harbor freight. Ask EVO and they will send you a link to the exact one you need I cannot remember the link. Without it this job would have been a nightmare. As always you can call EVO and ask them for help... They are truly the best and really go out of there way to make sure you the customer are happy and have the info.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have to disagree with most of the posts here...it really isnt that much more difficult to install the skins after the fact...just loosen the body mount bolts and jack up the side you want to do first...repeat on the other side....this gives you a un obstructed shot at installing your skins...hope it helps

Quick Reply: Question on evo rock sliders