Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question on EVO GUSSETS

Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt remove the sprigs just took all the load off, used a hammer and gently tapped it into place to where I was happy with it, welded it all up and it was good to go.
My springs(BDS) do touch it with the bottom coil but it is absolutly no issue at all. Works excellent and has held my C's straight for 4 years on 37's.

Install it, lower the jeep and you will see it isnt an issue
Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ok thanks , im thinking release sway bar and jack it up it should go a bit

more in toward frame and free it just a little bit more . Thanks for help
Old 02-24-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

You can grind a bit out of the gusset to make it sit more flush, but there should be not issue with rubbing with factory coils...
Old 02-24-2014, 02:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by john smack
I didnt remove the sprigs just took all the load off, used a hammer and gently tapped it into place to where I was happy with it, welded it all up and it was good to go.
My springs(BDS) do touch it with the bottom coil but it is absolutly no issue at all. Works excellent and has held my C's straight for 4 years on 37's.

Install it, lower the jeep and you will see it isnt an issue
precisely this. When it is fully seated and welded, it will sit well below the coil. My tf springs make contact, but it doesnt effect anything.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Default Hope so / Thanks

id like to see it go a bit forward more toward the frame to get a closer weld Id feel better with that . It probably might if I release sway bar get full drop. rather have no grinding off the steel gusset but" when the weather breaks ill get our 4x4 shop to weld them in place .
ill prob replace the factory ball joints then too with quality ones .

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-24-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is it just the photo, or is your spring a little askew? Do you have your axle centred properly (via adjustable trackbar)?

As regards the EVO quote: I dont really get that remark. Who would buy these gussets to run them with stock springs? If you run stock components, you dont really need the gussets, as these are mostly for the people who put on bigger tires. So if you have bigger tires, you are problably going to have a lift, aka not the stock springs...

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
i was test fitting it on the ground , i was told you have to jack it up high on the frame so load is off springs , then they go into place . This is true but still dosent seat right to the frame tight do to the stock springs rubbing a bit. Im not sure if the welder can fill that gap or not ? It still concerns me a bit when you release the jack and spring comes down into its normal position it still rubs the upper gusset . it seems you still need to have to grind it out some notch unless the gap dosent matter when welded in many spots . I wonder when the spring comes down into place if its pressure against the gussets effect the performance of the spring or its driving habit? anyone know for sure? couple more pics after it went in youl see the spring still rub& in first pic youl see the gap im refering to that is a bit large for my liking . of should it be granded enough to sit all the way back against the frame ?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Default my springs are norm and axle is perfect

Originally Posted by PET77
Is it just the photo, or is your spring a little askew? Do you have your axle centred properly (via adjustable trackbar)?

As regards the EVO quote: I dont really get that remark. Who would buy these gussets to run them with stock springs? If you run stock components, you dont really need the gussets, as these are mostly for the people who put on bigger tires. So if you have bigger tires, you are problably going to have a lift, aka not the stock springs...
I have stock suspension and heavy 33s its the weight that you need gussets , I don't intend on lifting mine I prefer it stock but want durability with out bending the c 's
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did run some 33" on my stock JK too, but - this isnt the usual JK setup found on this forum (when running other than stock tires) - right?:-)

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
I have stock suspension and heavy 33s its the weight that you need gussets , I don't intend on lifting mine I prefer it stock but want durability with out bending the c 's
Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

I was told by several people that if you go off-road or even hit a bad pot hole on the road, you run risk of damage even with stock set up. I have 34s but stock springs. I did these just to be safe. With the parts and paying to have installed, I spent maybe $250.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Default I run Nitto 33s tire wheel combo 85lbs each

Originally Posted by PET77
I did run some 33" on my stock JK too, but - this isnt the usual JK setup found on this forum (when running other than stock tires) - right?:-)
factory wheels are 75lbs for rubicon and if your banging round w/ those you can bend them ive heard .
but my nitto 33s weigh more than a lot of 35s ( im sure that some who use nitto or toyo get them gusseted for that reason .) Any forum has varied 33s 35, 37, 40, if I gusset them now and I am. Im good to go
id prefer they came strong from the factory but it just isn't this way.

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-25-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Question on EVO GUSSETS