Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question: Driving after Gear Install

Old 03-16-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Driving after Gear Install

Hey guys, I'm probably going to take my JKU to get my 4.88's installed tomorrow. However, I have plans to take the Jeep to the beach this weekend. It's about 120 miles from my house to Fernandina Beach, FL. No interstate, just highway, max speed limit is 55-60.

Would it be ok (safe on my new ring and pinion) to make this drive with brand new gears? Any tips?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told not to drive more than 20 minutes on the highway and not to stay at a constant speed for too long. But others have gone wheeling right after install. I did per shop directions. Short drives, easy throttle and allowed the gears to cool down between drives. Flushed my oil after 1000km.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like he said, you need a few good heat cycles then you should be okay. When you get it back drive on 3-4 30 minute drives and let it cool off after each one. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on the trip if you have a chance to go on those few runs before hand. On your drive there maybe stop and let things cool off a bit each way. Other than that, vary your speed is what they say.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find out what the gear manufacturer and install shop recommends for a break in period. They are the ones that will make or break your warranty should you ever need to use it.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, if they get in done in a couple days like they said they would, I will be driving back and forth to work for a couple days before my weekend off, it's about a 20 minute drive from my house to work, so that would be four trips, not counting if I decide to go to town beforehand as well, so that will cover the few short trips.

I was also planning on stopping on the way down there and letting everything cool just to be safe, but I'll make sure to get with the manufacturer and/or my shop on it.

I should change the gear oil after 500 miles, correct?

Quick Reply: Question: Driving after Gear Install