Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

question on busted u joint

Old 11-01-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question on busted u joint

i am missing the cap and i guess bearings on the ujoint. its the front pass side. can i put another cap or do i have to replace the entire ujoint. also with the other 3 in place do yall think it is ok to drive on road. it would be about another week before i could fix it unless i can just pop another cap on there and clip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	32277  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, don't drive it, you'll destroy that axle. Replace the joint. Or pull the axle.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

looks like its too late.. to me it looks out of round, and also looks like there is a crack....

if your under warranty get it towed to the dealer
Old 11-01-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Oops, I didn't even look at the pic. Yeah, outta round, replace the shaft or pull it till you can get a new one if your not in warranty.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

ok, if i pull the axle, the other side should be ok and what about the open hole in the axle tube? wont i loose diff oil or is that sealed inside? also, do i remove the axle with the yoke still attached or do i need to press it out and leave the yoke connected? i probably couldnt get a new ujoint till midd week. any help is apprecitaed, i have never had to pull an axle
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Pull the axle, the yolk is attached, leave the stub shaft-wheel side, stick a sock in the hole, you won't lose much oil cause the front seal is close to the diff, the whole axle tube in the front does not have oil normally, some will spit into it with no axle. Just check it everyday the axle is out to make sure enough oil is in the diff. No pressing involed on the front.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Front axle write up

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/dana-44-front-axle-seal-replacement-41177/

oops, wrong one, I'll try to find the one you need

Here it is

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/installing-alloy-usa-factory-ten-cm-front-axles-ctm-u-joints-72971/

Last edited by mkjeep; 11-01-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Pull the axle, the yolk is attached, leave the stub shaft-wheel side, stick a sock in the hole, you won't lose much oil cause the front seal is close to the diff, the whole axle tube in the front does not have oil normally, some will spit into it with no axle. Just check it everyday the axle is out to make sure enough oil is in the diff. No pressing involed on the front.
cool, thanks alot. hopefully i can get it pulled today before i need to drive tomorrow morning. well i bent the rear pass side axle, now this on pass side. upgradeing the rear to chromollys, hell i guess i might as well just pull the front and run it till i upgrade it to chromollys now. appreciate the quick replies.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

I had my front left dana 30 axle go. You can get a new front left axle assy for the dana 30 for 130.00 plus shipping from moparpartsonline. The assy includes inner shaft, outershaft and ujoint.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Jedi

Did you notice any symptoms driving with the missing cap?

Quick Reply: question on busted u joint