Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A question on backspacing, and yes I read the FAQ

Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question on backspacing, and yes I read the FAQ

Hey guys ... was reading the FAQ on wheel sizes and back spacing. It says:

Q: What back spacing will I need on my wheels in order to clear 12.50 wide tires?
A: I would recommend that you do not exceed 4.75" of back spacing and even at that, you may still have some minor rubbing up front at a full turn. Also, I would recommend that you do not go any less than 3.75" as anything less would cause your tires to stick out very far past the fender flares.

The Method Wheels I was looking at are these: NV | Matte Black Off-road Wheel | Method Race Wheels

Seems like they are only offered in the 5x5 bolt patter in 17x8.5 0/4.75" offset/backspacing .....since this is the upper limit according to the FAQ should I run spacers on these??? and if so what size?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should be fine with those with no spacers. The worst that would happen would be your tire rubs the control arms at full turn, but besides that everything else should be fine.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The numbers in the faq's are guidelines, not set in stone facts.

There can be a fairly sizable variance in height and width between two different tires with the same 'stated' size, as well as differences between two jk's that might 'look' identical, so it would be hard to give a definite yes or no that would apply to all situations.

Assuming a 33x12.50, you should be fine. But, what tire size? (and even which specific tire). Any lift? Factory flares/chopped/flats? Plastic skid still in place? Axles centered? etc.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The numbers in the faq's are guidelines, not set in stone facts.

There can be a fairly sizable variance in height and width between two different tires with the same 'stated' size, as well as differences between two jk's that might 'look' identical, so it would be hard to give a definite yes or no that would apply to all situations.

Assuming a 33x12.50, you should be fine. But, what tire size? (and even which specific tire). Any lift? Factory flares/chopped/flats? Plastic skid still in place? Axles centered? etc.
Planning on 35x12.5x17 .... might do the 2.5" budget boost for time being and then move into the Evo LCG Coilover Kit later next year. .... for now just want to get wheels, tires, rear tire carrier, and re-gear, then stage 2 would be armor and roof rack, and stage 3 would be the coilovers, lower arms, drag link flip kit, and drive shafts.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

These wheels already have a 4.5" back spacing. You will be all set running them. I have similar wheels, XD Addicts, and they fit great. No rubbing issues at all. You will be good with anything that has a 4.25" or 4.5" back spacing.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pasteris71
These wheels already have a 4.5" back spacing. You will be all set running them. I have similar wheels, XD Addicts, and they fit great. No rubbing issues at all. You will be good with anything that has a 4.25" or 4.5" back spacing.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Yea they are 4.75" ... just didnt know if I need to run .5" spacers all around so they are closer to 4.25"
Old 10-23-2013, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Those thin spacers that sandwich between the hub and wheel don't have the best reviews, since the lugnuts have that much less thread on the studs to grab onto. Most people here will discourage their use, and recommend a thicker spidertrax type spacer with two sets of bolts.

If you do end up rubbing, figure out where and how bad and then look at your options. Trim/remove the plastic skid, center the axle, trim the flares or bumper, add washers to the steer stops (there is a writeup on this up in the writeups area), whatever you need.

And if you are worried about the backspace/clearance that much, there are plenty of other wheels out there to choose from.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Those thin spacers that sandwich between the hub and wheel don't have the best reviews, since the lugnuts have that much less thread on the studs to grab onto. Most people here will discourage their use, and recommend a thicker spidertrax type spacer with two sets of bolts.

If you do end up rubbing, figure out where and how bad and then look at your options. Trim/remove the plastic skid, center the axle, trim the flares or bumper, add washers to the steer stops (there is a writeup on this up in the writeups area), whatever you need.

And if you are worried about the backspace/clearance that much, there are plenty of other wheels out there to choose from.
Yea I looked at some other wheels, but I get a discount on Methods so thats why I was hoping to go with them.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Arrow no spacers!

i wouldnt get spacers, i would just get the right wheel with the offset, i didnt know i even had spacers? they were about 2-3"! and heavy? took them off, wheels never rubbed b4, but i still just dont turn wheel that hard either, theres' less stress on everything. i only get 14mpg!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LindasJeep
i wouldnt get spacers, i would just get the right wheel with the offset, i didnt know i even had spacers? they were about 2-3"! and heavy? took them off, wheels never rubbed b4, but i still just dont turn wheel that hard either, theres' less stress on everything. i only get 14mpg!
Are you talking about 2-3" coil spacers?

Quick Reply: A question on backspacing, and yes I read the FAQ