Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question - AEV Snorkel & lower engine temps

Old 09-21-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - AEV Snorkel & lower engine temps

Okay, so I've been having engine temp issues for a while. Ignoring that (or putting it aside for now), I put on an AEV snorkel yesterday. However the first thing I noticed is that it dropped the engine temps 10-15F. The 2nd thing I noticed is the sound (sounds better!). But yeah... temps are noticeably lower now. Dash gauge is always under the half way mark. Now it's a tad colder outside (5-9C vs 15-25F). But I don't think that's the issue.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed decreased engine temps from just putting on a snorkel.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is common. Drawing in cooler ambient ambient air can be hundreds of degrees cooler then underhood air. Its why some supercharger manufacturers recommend a snorkel.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Shit.

Now... I've been having temp issues for months. When the JK was under load, the temps would go up. Most often I would see it on hills. Jeep would redline on hills. Its been in 4 different dealers (Vancouver, Prince George, Edmonton and mine in Whitehorse). No one can find why it's doing this. On my trip to Edmonton 2 weeks ago, the issue was worse (in June it didn't redline up mountain passes - just got warm - 3/4 mark). They've replaced the thermostat, fan module (fuckers in PG charged me for that, then ignored ever call and email I ever sent), pulled the engine cover, and are about to replace the temp sensor.

But because I wanted the snorkel on before we go wheeling next week... now the symptoms have changed. I'm not sure I'll be able to replicate the issue without having to go find a mountain pass (of which there's none within an hour of here). I've had a hard enough time convincing Dodge that there's an issue. If I can't replicate the issue, I'm not sure the dealer will be able to correct it (mind you I haven't had faith that they could for weeks).
Old 09-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the radiator clean? Could be a bit of mud deep in the fins.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
Is the radiator clean? Could be a bit of mud deep in the fins.
Rad is crystal clean. Thermostat, fan module both been replaced. Engine cover has been removed, and "everything" was checked out, and was fine. Water pump is on backorder, so even if that could be an issue, it can't be replaced.

I pulled my grill cover (had a aluminum cover from Twisted Squirrel), and that helped a bit, but temps would still climb like crazy on hills. Dodge plans on replacing the temp sensor... I'll be putting the inner fender lines back in once dodge gets the bolts in.

Quick Reply: Question - AEV Snorkel & lower engine temps