Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about swaybar links

Old 05-04-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about swaybar links

Is it correct, when installing adjustable swaybar links in the rear, to move the stock rear links to the front? I've heard they're longer, and will thus provide some (marginal) benefit if you put the rears up front. Thanks, folks.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that's correct.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Depends on the lift height. (didn't see a lift in your sig) With most mild lifts, it is common to move the rears up front to keep the swaybar parallel to the ground. If you don't have a lift, putting the longer rears up front may have the bar pointing to far up.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Depends on the lift height. (didn't see a lift in your sig) With most mild lifts, it is common to move the rears up front to keep the swaybar parallel to the ground. If you don't have a lift, putting the longer rears up front may have the bar pointing to far up.
Thanks. Installing a NR4X4 OME lift (standard springs) this weekend. This answers my question!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

In my experience, most small lifts come with new rear links, and you move the stock rear links to the front, since they are longer, which is needed after a lift. If you have a lift that did not come with new rear links, either you don't need them because the lift isn't significant enough, or the lift simply didn't come with them (which I doubt is the case).

If you are installing adjustable quick disconnects, you will want them in the front since you really should not disconnect your rear sway bar. In that case, you should leave the stock ones on the rear.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Darn, you replied while I was typing.
Yeah, then you should move the rear links to the front and install new rear links.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
Darn, you replied while I was typing.
Yeah, then you should move the rear links to the front and install new rear links.
Whoops. I do have JKS Quicker Discos to install as well, and see now that these REPLACE the front links. So, new adjustables in the rear and discos in the front. The joy of being a shade tree mechanic is that you're constantly learning as you go.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

No problem. Your lift kit will probably come with new rear links. Just put your JKS links on the front and the new ones on the back. You will need to adjust your front links so that the sway bar sits level.

Quick Reply: Question about swaybar links