Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

question about stock tires on new wheels

Old 04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about stock tires on new wheels

Hey guys,
So I have a quick question on tire/wheel sizing. I always get confused when thinking about different tire and wheel sizing numbers. Basically I have stock wheels with Futura Scrambler A/P 245/75/16 tires and am thinking of getting new wheels. Eventually I will be getting bigger tires but for now would like to use my current tires on the new wheels until I can scrape some cash together. So would these wheels work with my current tires?

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partId=4352

The main thing that I was concerned about is the width not working but again I am no tire expert so I could really use some help.

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The MFG's website will have a specs list for all of their tires, which includes the 'recommended' rim width range. As long as you are within that range, no worries.

For tire sizing, search online for 'metric tire calculator' or anything similar. There are a number of them out there, just find one and start plugging in numbers. The other way is to check the specs list at any mfg's site. Along with the info above, they will have the metric sizes listed in inches also. Or head out to any of the online tire sites like TireRack or Discount or whoever. They will also list the standard size along with the metric.

Those rims should be fine. With that backspace, the tires will stick out of the fender well quite a bit, but you'll be in good shape when you go to a wider tire... (stock rims have a 6.25" BS, those have a 3.75" BS, so your current tires will be sitting 2.5" further out on each side)

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-04-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind if you push your backspacing way out but keep stock size tires you are drastically changing your scrub radius which will affect ride and handling.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Keep in mind if you push your backspacing way out but keep stock size tires you are drastically changing your scrub radius which will affect ride and handling.
Thanks for the responses guys! So Hellbound since this is my daily driver do you believe that this would adversely harm my handling or with proper mounting do you think it will be alright? These are fairly new tires that I currently have which is why I would like to get a bit more use out of them before buying new ones but dont want to ruin them either.

Thanks for the help again,

-G

Quick Reply: question about stock tires on new wheels