Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about stiffer springs

Old 03-01-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about stiffer springs

I installed a BDS 3 inch lift kit last year. Also installed the Smittybilt XRC MOD front bumper with quadratec Q9000i winch. Now the front end is starting to sag because of the weight does anyone have any info on stiffer springs that I can install to get the front and back up to height?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

why not just use a leveling kit?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much is it sagging and what number springs do you have on there now?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A stiffer coil spring could also effect how your jeep rides. You might want to consider a longer spring to accommodate for the added weight(which most manufacturers take into account).

Rubicon Express makes one of the stiffest coils. Teraflex are a bit stiff as well.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
How much is it sagging and what number springs do you have on there now?
It's 1" lower in the front than the back and I already had the shop put 1" spacers in the front when it was installed. I can't find the number of the spring on BDS's website.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redridge
why not just use a leveling kit?
I'll check out this option. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
A stiffer coil spring could also effect how your jeep rides. You might want to consider a longer spring to accommodate for the added weight(which most manufacturers take into account). Rubicon Express makes one of the stiffest coils. Teraflex are a bit stiff as well.
Good info thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would measure the height you have now and then check with the big manufactures, like RK, MC, Teraflex, Synergy, etc. to see what they have available.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

> Spacers don't make up for a spring that is too weak. The suspension travel is still shorter, and the fix is only temporary if the spring is really too weak for the load.

> There are at least two parameters for springs: Length and stiffness. Its important not to mix them up. For any length spring, if its not stiff enough for the load its gonna sag, and if its stiffer than needed, its gonna ride like crap.

> Pretty hard to talk about springs without considering the shocks. Shocks need to be valved tighter to control stiff springs and valved looser for soft springs. If the shocks weren't matched to the springs by the suspension designer, then adjustable shocks rule.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Freewill
> Spacers don't make up for a spring that is too weak. The suspension travel is still shorter, and the fix is only temporary if the spring is really too weak for the load. > There are at least two parameters for springs: Length and stiffness. Its important not to mix them up. For any length spring, if its not stiff enough for the load its gonna sag, and if its stiffer than needed, its gonna ride like crap. > Pretty hard to talk about springs without considering the shocks. Shocks need to be valved tighter to control stiff springs and valved looser for soft springs. If the shocks weren't matched to the springs by the suspension designer, then adjustable shocks rule.
ok thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: Question about stiffer springs