Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about rear sway bar links....

Old 06-21-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rear sway bar links....

So, my buddy is having his lift installed as we speak. Shop said he is going to need longer sway bar links (as you do with any lift usually). Also, as everyone normally does - he said he will take the rears (since they are longer) and put them on the front to level out the sway bar. Thing is, he said you can leave the rear links OFF and that you won't even notice them being off. Does that sound right? This guy is experienced and only works on 4x4 rigs - but I thought it's not a good idea to drive with the rear disconnected?

Thoughts?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried running with no rear swaybar and its not to fun on the highway. The rear becomes very loose feeling and I promptly reinstalled mine. Wouldnt recommend it.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Jedi

did the lift not come with extended rears? what lift is it?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

I did it for about a week when i first installed my lift. You can drive without them, but I wouldn't. Besides they are cheap.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

I'd have to agree with the ride being "loose" and unnerving. I mean, he'll probably have about a 30 minute ride, if that.... at least until he gets home and I can give him my old rear links.

I know they are cheap, it's just he forgot to pick them up. No, they did not come with the lift. It was a budget boost if I recall.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
I'd have to agree with the ride being "loose" and unnerving. I mean, he'll probably have about a 30 minute ride, if that.... at least until he gets home and I can give him my old rear links.

I know they are cheap, it's just he forgot to pick them up. No, they did not come with the lift. It was a budget boost if I recall.
Oh ok... If its just to get home take it slow and it will be fine.
Just ziptie the swaybar up out of the way.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Oh ok... If its just to get home take it slow and it will be fine.
Just ziptie the swaybar up out of the way.
Yea, I advised him to not drive around all the time without them on. So, it's just a semi-short ride home and then I'll toss on the rears I have for him and he'll be set.

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bluesauce
I'm gonna have an extra set of RK extended rears if he wants. Accidentally ordered 2 sets
Appreciate it Tim. I'm going to check out how the swaybar sits when I see him later post-install. Might not even need longer ones other than the stock ones. BTW - I came across your tie-down strap in my garage the other day, I was like where the hell did this come from? Ya know, the one we tried to tie my draglink with? hahahaha.... I'll bring it next time we go wheeling.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Junkie

You get those tires on yet? I forgot when you said you were mounting them I know you picked up stockers and painted them...
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi

His rear trackbar was bent and the rear links are to short, among a few other small issues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120621_134033.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	332117  

Quick Reply: Question about rear sway bar links....