Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

question about rear coil sag

Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about rear coil sag

i have a teraflex 2.5" 4dr coils on my 2dr rubi. only have about 1k miles on them. after installing the lift kit i noticed my rear was sagging a bit anywhere between 1/2"-1". I have a body armor rear bumper w/tire carrier(spare weighs bout 90lbs). in the front i have an orfab stubby w/hoop, orfab winch plate and superwinch ep 9.0 w/synthetic. im sure theres more weight in the rear then in the front but would that be enough weight to cause a 1/2"-1" sag? also whats my best option to correct this? ie spacer vs rear coil swap? thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you like the ride from the coils now just add a spacer. If the ride is too rough or too spongy for you then look into a different coil. There are companies that sell coils based on the amount of weight they will be carrying.
X2...although I wouldn't have guessed the springs would sag an inch. Factory springs yes
Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you put the factory isolaters Back in when you swapped out the old coils?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the 1/2in spacers in the rear with the long retainer nipple? At one time these kits came with it. If not , you could get one of those or a 1in longer nipple spacer.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Teraflex coils sagged with the extra weight of an expedition one bumper and bigger spare tire. Could have used a spacer but swapped out for OME coils which handle the bumper weight plus any weight when I load up the Jeep better.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottW
My Teraflex coils sagged with the extra weight of an expedition one bumper and bigger spare tire. Could have used a spacer but swapped out for OME coils which handle the bumper weight plus any weight when I load up the Jeep better.
That's my recommendation also. I have no sag with my Hvy OME springs. I'm about to go with the extreme Hvy 620 to help stay level when towing and loaded for camping.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tow a 2600lbs trailer and went w/air bags took me about 30min to install. Also the aev are a good coil that are a progressive coil.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Did you put the factory isolaters Back in when you swapped out the old coils?
yes, the isolators are there. thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Do you have the 1/2in spacers in the rear with the long retainer nipple? At one time these kits came with it. If not , you could get one of those or a 1in longer nipple spacer.
no spacers in the front or rear. i think my best option at this point money wise is to add spacers in the back. the orfab stubby was much lighter then i expected. weight wise the spare in the back and winch in the front are about equal. so the rear bumper and tire carrier weigh alot more then a stubby. after finding some good level asphalt today the difference is definitely closer to 1/2" then 1" thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hodge7467
I tow a 2600lbs trailer and went w/air bags took me about 30min to install. Also the aev are a good coil that are a progressive coil.
How did the air bags hold up? Are they easy to maintain? The airlift 1000?

Quick Reply: question about rear coil sag