Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about powdercoating PS Brawler light front bumper

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about powdercoating PS Brawler light front bumper

I know a number of you have bought the bare metal bumper and then had it powder coated so hopefully someone can help me with the following question.

What did you do about the bolts used to secure the bumper to the frame. There are 8 bolts altogether (4 per side) and bolts are welded in pairs to a bar which mounts through a plate in the bumper (kind of like a captive bolt pair). The bolts are held loosely in place with lock washers.

Did you just powder coat with all of this in place (after masking the bolts) or did you try and remove them. I started trying to pull them out last night and released the lock washers but there doesn't seem to be enough space to get the bolt plate out from behind the welded mounting bracket on the bumper.

If I powedercoat with the bolts located within the bumper doesn't that mean there will be some uncoated metal behind the mounting plate (or the powder coat will crack when I torque the bolts)

Thanks,

Steve

Quick Reply: Question about powdercoating PS Brawler light front bumper