Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about painting sliders

Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about painting sliders

I am welding up a set of PSC Rico Steps..

I'll have to finish off the rails which will be stock rubi rails with the OE finish except in the spots I need to weld, and the raw metal that is the PSC Rico step parts. I would like to use Duplicolor Bed Armor.. not Bed Liner.. it's a step up from regular bed liner in durability and has a nice texture.

I don't have the can to refer to.. What steps should one typically take to ensure the finish bonds and holds up well? Should raw metal be primed first? scuffed? both?

Open to suggestions, but also found this on Duplicolors web site...

http://www.duplicolor.com/pdfs/tips.pdf

Last edited by MikekiM; 07-05-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the duplicolor bed liner not armor on my rails and the can said no primer cause that would make a layer between the metal and the liner. The stuff is supposed to adhere to bare metal. They recommend ( and so do I ) on using duplicolor prep spray. It's kinda like wd40 and does a great job of cleaning the metal.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the duplicolor bed liner not armor on my rails and the can said no primer cause that would make a layer between the metal and the liner. The stuff is supposed to adhere to bare metal. They recommend ( and so do I ) on using duplicolor prep spray. It's kinda like wd40 and does a great job of cleaning the metal. Some guys scuff up the surface don't duplicolor doesn't say it's nessasary.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

A buddy of mine uses the armor on the whole tub of his YJ and he just scuffed the paint up. It's holding on pretty well. I haven't seen any spots come off yet. I'm about to use his left overs on my rails and grill.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be carful with the armor, kind of tough to get a good finish.

Rustoleum bed liner spray gets a very even texture and sandpaper like grip. Can't speak of the durability as a step yet, though it seems very tough.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks all..

I have awesome results with the armor. Sprayed a bunch of other things and I love the finish. Light sand texture. Dries and cures pretty quick. Only downside I have seen is it is water based so if the parts get wet before it fully cures it will lift.

Quick Reply: Question about painting sliders