Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about ORI Struts

Old 02-04-2016, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ORI Struts

So I may be way off tilt here, but I have been thinking about ORI Struts for the rear of my 4 door instead of coilovers. The difficulty I found is whether you plan to onboard the struts, you need to start cutting the tub and if you plan to outboard them, you need full width 1 ton axles with a ton of backspace.
Since I don't necessarily like either of those options I was thinking about the possibilities of a cantilever system using struts. In my mind I picture the evo lever cantilever system replaced with struts.

Picture of the cantilever system:
http://www.evomfg.com/image/cache/da...07-800x534.jpg

Can I I get some feedback on this? I haven't messed with either coilovers or struts yet, but I'm finding these setups more and more enticing as I push my jeep toward higher speed off roading (sand dunes mostly).

Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to cut the tub no matter which way you mount them. You could maybe shoe horn some 12" struts in without cutting, but I would recommend it. JKU is too heavy to run 12s. 14s, yes, but tub has to be cut.

Struts can't be run in a horizontal position like a coilover. That option is out.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks invest. I just need to see a good setup in person. Visualizing this stuff has become difficult.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
You need to cut the tub no matter which way you mount them. You could maybe shoe horn some 12" struts in without cutting, but I would recommend it. JKU is too heavy to run 12s. 14s, yes, but tub has to be cut.

Struts can't be run in a horizontal position like a coilover. That option is out.
The 12's and 14's support the same 6000lbs.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spedly
The 12's and 14's support the same 6000lbs.
Support, yes. There is far more to ORIs than that. Oil volume, chamber size, chrome showing... Strut size affects all of those.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blizz
So I may be way off tilt here, but I have been thinking about ORI Struts for the rear of my 4 door instead of coilovers. The difficulty I found is whether you plan to onboard the struts, you need to start cutting the tub and if you plan to outboard them, you need full width 1 ton axles with a ton of backspace.
Since I don't necessarily like either of those options I was thinking about the possibilities of a cantilever system using struts. In my mind I picture the evo lever cantilever system replaced with struts.

Picture of the cantilever system:
http://www.evomfg.com/image/cache/da...07-800x534.jpg

Can I I get some feedback on this? I haven't messed with either coilovers or struts yet, but I'm finding these setups more and more enticing as I push my jeep toward higher speed off roading (sand dunes mostly).

Thanks guys.
Not a knock on this forum but I think your asking the wrong people there might be 3-4 people here that have any knowledge of the ORI struts. This seems more a question for Pirate 4x4.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:11 AM
JK Freak

If your looking for high speed stuff I'd be looking at coilovers instead of struts these tend to heat up when cycled fast it can be done but not the best choice. You might take a look at Rock Krawler's new racer X setup with the coilovers and bypass shocks.

Quick Reply: Question about ORI Struts