Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about lift on 2012 Sport

Old 05-25-2021, 03:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Question about lift on 2012 Sport

So I Just bought a 2012 JK Sport. I have a buddy who has all brand new suspension components that he took off of his 2014 Rubicon when he bought it new. I purchased a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost to put on it and at the same time I was going to install his springs. My question is will I run into any issues? Should I buy new shocks or use the Rubicon ones with shock extensions? Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Buddy's Rubicon is a 2dr or a 4dr? If it is a 4dr, I would not swap those springs if you're installing a budget boost. The 4dr Rubi springs would lift your 2dr a slight bit, and add 2.5" spacers on top of that and now you're close to 3.5" of lift which is going to require more attention than that budget boost is going to address. If you have brand new rubicon shocks, running them when the budget boost extensions isn't a terrible thing if you're just going to DD this jeep on the pavement. If you were going to get more into off-roading I would just get a properly sized shock to start with myself. Even with a 2.5" boost, you may want to consider a means of caster correction. $100 control arm brackets could be right up your alley.

Congrats on your purchase. Looks like a clean '12 to start with.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The springs are from a 2 door. This will mostly be DD and some of our light trails. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

I'd say that it's typically not worth swapping those springs, but since your old ones have to come out to pop spacer in anyhow, no sense not putting those brand new springs in. If you don't mind a little lost clearance at the frame rail, the control arm brackets will help you raise the caster back up and provide a nice ride for your DD. Unless you started playing in big rocks you wouldn't notice they are there. Enjoy the updates to your ride

Quick Reply: Question about lift on 2012 Sport