Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about how a lift and bigger tires would affect power.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about how a lift and bigger tires would affect power.

Hey everyone.

So after getting used to what my stock X can do (very impressed by the way...love it to death) I'm looking at getting a 2.5 inch lift and a new set of tires - thinking 33".

My question relates to the fact that my stock X unfortunately is running 3.21 gears, and already comes up short in the power department, and I'm worried that the lift and new tires might hurt it even further.

I'll (hopefully) be stationed down in florida this time next year, and want to be able to tow a jetski (the trailer + jetski will weigh about 1,000 pounds, which is what a 3.21 gear X is rated to tow) and I'm worried that the new tires and lift might hurt my power to the point that I wouldn't be able to tow my soon to be toys to the beach.

Also, I plan on calling the dealership on monday to see if I re-gearing would void my warranty if I used Chrysler labor (I know, I know, but I like my warranty just fine)

Thanks for any insight any of you can provide.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to your dealership first and get their reply in writting. My dealership told me that if I regeared to 4.10s it would not void my warranty but going to 4.88s would void it.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lift doesn't affect your power whatsoever, but going up in tire size certainly will. I've got factory 3.73s which I'll eventually dump in favor of 4.56s (I'm running 33s), but 3.21s in a JK should be a criminal offense. No matter how you cut it, regearing is -or should be- in your future.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies, guess my new tires will have to wait until after I re-gear.

Originally Posted by Omaha
The lift doesn't affect your power whatsoever, but going up in tire size certainly will. I've got factory 3.73s which I'll eventually dump in favor of 4.56s (I'm running 33s), but 3.21s in a JK should be a criminal offense. No matter how you cut it, regearing is -or should be- in your future.
Trust me, I didn't want the 3.21s but man was the price right. I would have had to pay a few thousand dollars more to get a 6spd with 3.73 (it would have had to been shipped from arkansas) and I had bought my JK when Chrysler was going through their "restructuring plans" and dealerships were getting closure notices (I got it for 17,500 before taxes). It was going to cost some 23/24,000 (before tax) to get that 6 speed shipped up here.

Guess I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow and finding out about the 4.10 gears to see if it voids the warranty and to get a price check on them.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Void your warranty? Most of those knuckleheads wouldn't even know you changed the gears. Took mine 3 weeks to figure out I had a frt auto locker.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on your dealer. I found a new one. No questions on warranty work on modded jeeps if the part that broke is stock. The owner of that dealership has a JK on 40's, d-60's, and a Hemi.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
23/24 for a X 6-speed? I was able to pickup my Rubicon manual for 23k. But it was slim pickins for the manual rubicons for sure!
Yeah, the took the list price of the X with the tow package (It also had air conditioning and a couple other options) and then added a huge transfer fee and wouldn't come down on the price.

Which is why I said forget that, and went with the much cheaper 3.21 gear X that I got.

So it looks like getting those rubi take offs will have to wait until I can re-gear (or maybe my getting a jetski will be the thing that waits)

So many things to upgrade, so little time.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

i im running 3in on 33's i love the setup and need to regear. i got some 4.10 ring and pinion and going to regear. but i dont know if i need anything else. i know i need the speedo change and the overhual kits, but short on money. my father is a mechanic and he just said "bring the parts and we will change them out. would the factory overhaul kits work? any ideas?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the Rubi w/4:10s, and in stock form (32's & no lift) it was under powered! I can not imagine having 3:73s or worse!!!! now that I have a 3" lift and 35's I'm really down on power. so a regear is very much in my future!!!
I have a real good dealer so any warranty issues are covered as long it's the stock parts that are in question. I guess some dealers are just cooler than others...
Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Omaha
The lift alone will also effect your mileage on the highway as well.
You will be higher off the ground causing a higher drag
co-effiecient while traveling at highway speeds..

Quick Reply: Question about how a lift and bigger tires would affect power.