Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about flex and 2" bb

Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, when you are talking about the shock size, are you talking about the TRAVEL of the shock? You need to be looking at the shock length (eye to eye) when it is completely compressed, and also fully extended. Different shocks have different travel. Some have more UPtravel and some have more DOWNtravel. The important thing is the the shock is at longer than stock by at least the equivalent of how much lift you have.

As far as the sway bars... The rear sway bar never gets disconnected. As you can see in some of those pics, the rear flexes pretty well. The longer sway bar extensions that you should have put on with your lift will compensate for the 2+" you just lifted the frame and body off of your axles/suspension. The front sway bar is more limiting than the rear and you def need to disconnect it to see the SIGNIFICANT articulation. However, you should still see a decent stretch with it on.

Shock length (extended) is quite often the limiting point for down-travel. Remember though, that this is a suspension SYSTEM. Every component comes into play here. If you are still using stock control arms, you cant expect as much atriculation as aftermarket simply because of the joints... There are a lot of variable, but hopefully this helps you to understand it a little more...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

The rear swaybar in no way near as stiff as the front so you don't need disconnect the rear, it might make the jeep feel a little too unstable. The first two pics in my post above shows pretty much my max rear flex, the rear swaybar is still connected. It might actually be my break lines limiting the rear, I have some break line relocation brackets I just have not gotten around to installing them yet.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiJK
First of all, when you are talking about the shock size, are you talking about the TRAVEL of the shock? You need to be looking at the shock length (eye to eye) when it is completely compressed, and also fully extended. Different shocks have different travel. Some have more UPtravel and some have more DOWNtravel. The important thing is the the shock is at longer than stock by at least the equivalent of how much lift you have.

As far as the sway bars... The rear sway bar never gets disconnected. As you can see in some of those pics, the rear flexes pretty well. The longer sway bar extensions that you should have put on with your lift will compensate for the 2+" you just lifted the frame and body off of your axles/suspension. The front sway bar is more limiting than the rear and you def need to disconnect it to see the SIGNIFICANT articulation. However, you should still see a decent stretch with it on.

Shock length (extended) is quite often the limiting point for down-travel. Remember though, that this is a suspension SYSTEM. Every component comes into play here. If you are still using stock control arms, you cant expect as much atriculation as aftermarket simply because of the joints... There are a lot of variable, but hopefully this helps you to understand it a little more...
Hey, that helped a lot..thanks!

Well, eye to eye, the shocks I had got were maybe .5" different than shock. So, no it doesn't cover the extra 2" or so I raised it.

Also, kit didn't require a rear sway bar extension.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by In5ane
Hey, that helped a lot..thanks!

Well, eye to eye, the shocks I had got were maybe .5" different than shock. So, no it doesn't cover the extra 2" or so I raised it.

Also, kit didn't require a rear sway bar extension.
I should have clarified more... The shock length compressed should be the same. If it is longer than stock when it is compressed, then your new lift isnt giving you as much UP-travel. When the shock is fully extended, it should be 2" longer than the stock shock fully extended. Any less than this and you just limited your travel with your lift.

Last edited by RubiJK; 01-16-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiJK
I should have clarified more... The shock length compressed should be the same. If it is longer than stock when it is compressed, then your new lift isnt giving you as much UP-travel. When the shock is fully extended, it should be 2" longer than the stock shock fully extended. Any less than this and you just limited your travel
Hey man, thanks for the info...I really appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Question about flex and 2" bb