Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about flex and 2" bb

Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about flex and 2" bb

Ok, I'm sure most of you seen my hate post about superlift. The shocks they had sent me were no longer than my stock shocks. So, finally got them to send me some 4" shocks (should get them this weekend).

Anyhow, I went to flex the jeep up this week and hardly any flex. I got nearly 3" of lift after the install, so I assume it's the shocks holding me back....

Just wanted to see what anyone else thought, or if you agree...

I shouldn't have to disconnect to see that much flex right?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

yes you will have to disconnect to obtain full flex of your suspension.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Right, I know you have to disconnect for full flex...but I wasn't getting much at all. I believe the shocks while "mounted" have only about an inch (if that) of play, so i think it's the shocks.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Its not the shocks

Its not the shocks that are limiting your flex. It is your sway bar. It is designed to limit the travel of the wheel so as to maintain balance of the Jeep and prevent severe leaning and improper weight distribution while driving. If I am reading your post (and your math) correctly, you think that since you got 3" of lift out of your kit that the 4" shocks only leave 1" of travel?That is not how it works.If you got shocks for 4" of lift, then that is going to be at least 4" of additional travel (extension) over your stock shocks (experts correct me if I am wrong). Disconnect your sway bar and I am sure that you will see much improvement on your flex.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Agreed,

However, what I am saying is the shocks the "supposedly" were for a 2" lift weren't any longer than stock shocks. So, therefore...that will limit downward motion of wheel no matter if sway bar is connected or not, correct? What I was saying is that they are sending me shocks, that are for a 4" lift kit, so that SHOULD provide me with the ample motion...am I thinking about that right?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are connected it is the swaybar limiting travel not the shocks. Here is mine disconnected, I'm running the Black Diamond (same as Superlift) 2" kit with the shocks that came with it.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

I'll check it out...thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by In5ane
Ok, I'm sure most of you seen my hate post about superlift. The shocks they had sent me were no longer than my stock shocks. So, finally got them to send me some 4" shocks (should get them this weekend).

Anyhow, I went to flex the jeep up this week and hardly any flex. I got nearly 3" of lift after the install, so I assume it's the shocks holding me back....

Just wanted to see what anyone else thought, or if you agree...

I shouldn't have to disconnect to see that much flex right?
Definitely need to disconnect the front sway, great that you got some real shocks.

This pic is my humble little 2.5" TF BB disconnected with SkyJacker Nitro 8000 shocks, I still wasn't fully flexed here but I thought it was pretty good for no more lift than I have with these 35s. The key is being disconnected as many have stated.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Yeah, that's probably a big part...but the first shocks they sent sound too short for the lift...right?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Also, may be a dumb question...but I'm still learning...

If I get quick disc's for the front, what about the back? You still wouldn't get much flex back there..right?

Quick Reply: Question about flex and 2" bb