Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about axle shafts and King rear bump stops.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about axle shafts and King rear bump stops.

Had a couple of questions about potential mods I was thinking of. How necessary are front axle shafts when running 37's? I'm saving for PR 60's but don't know how long that will be...in the meantime, I'd like to wheel (moderate, not heavy) without having to worry about breaking an axle shaft. I've gone out a few times over the last year or so and haven't broken an axle shaft...yet.

Also, I plan on getting the front King bump stops and I've read from other posts that the rear isn't all that necessary. I'm currently running the rear factory bumpstops...should I upgrade? Any opinions?? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents on the axles (idk about the rear bumpstops sorry). I say buy a used long side axle shaft and tools to change it on the trail. The money for axles would be a waste if your going to a 60 soon. If your smart when wheeling, you can wheel on a dana 44 with 37s for a while.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I did check on prices for axle shafts and some are pretty pricey. Thanks for the advice .
Old 11-07-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Really, it's all in your driving. Be gentle, don't pound on it, and you'll be fine.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

I've run 37's on stock shafts for 2 years and have been fine. I even broke the factory 44 housing and put the stock shaft into my ProRock until I have $$$$ for Chromoly. I use the front locker only when necessary. I picked up a set of spare factory shafts off a fellow forum member cheap and keep them with me on rides. Ive wheeled MaBell (conservatively) Most all of Rausch Creek, Southington, and BDS outback, so it's not a mall crawler by any means. Hope that helps out.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those who have posted not needing rear airbumps, after installing fronts haven't been in a rig with both. If all you're doing is slow rockcrawling airbumps aren't required at all and why even do the frt. If you're like me and like to play in the desert at speed and do rocks, doing just the frt doesn't work. Why set it up so the frt takes the hit, to only have the rear crash through the hit & most likely damage stuff? As far as axle shafts, I have chromos. If you don't have a soon date on the 60s, I'd suggest replacing em.

Last edited by highwayman; 11-07-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info! You all are a great help. I definitely like the fast desert rides and also figured it's better to be safe than sorry. I've had my fair share of breaks out on the trail and it's weird...with each new break, my worry meter goes up a bit more...lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaySC
Thanks for all the info! You all are a great help. I definitely like the fast desert rides and also figured it's better to be safe than sorry. I've had my fair share of breaks out on the trail and it's weird...with each new break, my worry meter goes up a bit more...lol.
Yeah, I hear you. I like to replace known weaklinks, before they show up on the trail. Id prefer to replace weaklinks at my pace in the shade of my clean garage with my tools, then have to do the same repair broken on the trail. You can always sell em off after the 60s. Any questions with airbumps or stuff, feel free to pm.

Quick Reply: Question about axle shafts and King rear bump stops.