Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

questio about fitting 15" rims on my JK

Old 04-04-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questio about fitting 15" rims on my JK

So I haven't purchased a set yet, but since the funds are tight right now I have been considering going the 15"route . I have a 08 sahara with no lift (just a leveling kit) and with 50k on the odometer and after someone recently stole the spare off the back my stock Duelers are starting to get me nervous and anxious. Nervous cuz I work in sales driving alot mostly in Brooklyn often in crappy neighborhoods, till 930pm 5 nights a week. And anxious, cuz I finally have an excuse with the wife to buy new tires.

I wanna get the Rough Country 3.25"lift, with a set of 35's. The suspension I have an easy excuse (brooklyn potholes my suspension is shot). But looking at the price of 35"tires for my oem 18's it's gonna be a tough sell. So unless I come across a great deal on a set on the forum, I've been thinking of going the 15" route obviously new or used the price is way lower, also seems to be a ton of em available used.

My question is I've heard that 15's don't clear the brakes....but then I've heard some guys are running em. Is it only certain rims that will fit? do I have to grind down the calipers? Plz help, I need new shoes, and I def need to get some height on my jk.

Also for those running 35's with 3.73's and an AT how is the performance? Obviously its never been a speed racer, but as my dd is it going to be like impossible to pass people on the highway, or to get it moving on the street? Never had a lifted jeep with big tires, so I don't know what to expect. But I really wanna go with 35's since everyone seems to regret getting 33's and I am not in the position to get new tires every few months.

Thanks in advance.
Lou
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The Faq's are a good place to start:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...74&postcount=3
Q: Will 15" Wheels Fit on my JK?
Q: What back spacing will I need on my wheels in order to clear 12.50 wide tires?

And then move on to this one:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/15-wheels-what-fits-what-rubs-find-out-here-94709/

For the gears - if you're like me, you're not happy with 3.73's on stock tires. Why would think you could happy with them on 35's?
But, a quick search will bring up about a thousand good threads full of opinions to read through. Or, you might even open up the Faq's again and look at the RPM chart...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passing vehicles at cruising speeds is one the most challenging driving conditions with gearing that is too high.

With 3.73s and I assume you have an auto you will have to turn off OD and even passing acceleration will minimal until you rev up to higher RPM, particularly if you are going uphill.

Even if you are just cruising at ~65 MPH the tranny can have a tendency to shift in and out of OD with the slightest head wind or change in grade.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 15 inch rims clear just fine. No grinding of the calipers at all. I have the MB72 from Discount Tire Direct. $99 each. As far as locking the spare, get yourself some lug locks, or tie an insulated bicycle chain around it and lock it. I have both.

Quick Reply: questio about fitting 15" rims on my JK