Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quality of Rugged Ridge & ProComp Wheels ???

Old 11-12-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn - some good experiences, some not so good w/ ProComp. Most seem good though.
How about any Rugged Ridge owners w/ exposure and corrosion from salt/winter roads??

Thanks to those who replied.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 65Cobra
Sounds like no real corrosion concerns for either brand so far. And none of the rivet/bolts around the rim are rusting?? Are they alumiminum too? (Guess that would answer my question about them rusting! ) Can they be removed if they aren't aluminum and replaced w/ alum hex button head screws?
The Rugged Ridge has stainless steel button-head socket cap screws. So you can add an optional trim ring.

I see no reason you can't change out the stainless steal screws for aluminum.

Check out their website.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jezzalachis
My ProComp wheels are hubcentric. I can't see the reason that they would make any that are not.

One word about the ProComps: I've got five - and one wheel (the spare) seems to be a very poor casting. The reliefed "lettering" on this wheel is not very well defined and shallow (unlike the other four) and the wheel has a ton of weights on the inside for balance. Could be the tire, but I'm pretty sure it is because of the wheel. I'm borderline about sending the damn thing back to the retailer.
Which ProComp wheels are you running? The JK has a 71.5mm hub. Have only found that the OEM, AEV and RR to be hub centric for JK's.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

"The Rugged Ridge has stainless steel button-head socket cap screws."
SS is good.
Thanks Zombie Hunter.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Love my Procomps! No problems at all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	caliper.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	236185
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a set of flat black pro comps and really like them. If they get scratched up on rocks or whatever I just touch them up with flat black paint from ace hardware. That being said, my first set were Knight Chrome, and while they looked good, they wore terribly. Ended up getting them replaced under warranty as all of the Chrome stuff was coming off.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

I've got Procomps wheels and tires 3 yrs now. I had hub spacers made up and the wheels fit like oem. Fit and finish holding up well. I live on the bay (salt) in NY and we get some decent snow. Def very happy with Procomp.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered 5 Procomp 7005's and when they came the coloring was off on one of the wheels...I called the place i ordered from and they gave me the run around about returning the wheel and said i would have to return all of them...Idiots. I then called Procomp and pretty much had no luck there....they wouldnt return my calls or emails. I wont buy another product from Procomp...other than the crappy customer service and failure to stand behind their product the wheels are nice...for $140 per wheel i cant complain. I have been looking at the Rugged Ridge wheels for my new Jeep...would like to see some pics.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my ProComp 1028’s with tires from Discount Tire. The wheels have the simulated bead locks and the “bolts” appear cast in, and look good. The finish is great, but they do need polishing as they are uncoated. They are not hubcentric, but that has not proven to be a problem. I would not hesitate to purchase another set, or recommend them to anyone.

I looked at a lot of wheels and these were the ones for me. I can only say, do the same. Both brands are good, even though there are issues with each, for some. Chances are, you will be pleased as long as you really like the wheel you get.

Last edited by Hifirush; 11-25-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hifirush
I bought my ProComp 1028’s with tires from Discount Tire. The wheels have the simulated bead locks and the “bolts” are cast in. The finish is great, but they do need polishing as they are uncoated. They are not hubcentric, but that has not proven to be a problem. I would not hesitate to purchase another set, or recommend them to anyone.

I looked at a lot of wheels and these were the ones for me. I can only say, do the same. Both brands are good, even though there are issues with each, for some. Chances are, you will be pleased as long as you really like the wheel you get.

Hifirush - So, if Discount Tire doesn't list the ProComp wheel I'm interested in (7005) on-line, it sounds like they can still get them??

Quick Reply: Quality of Rugged Ridge & ProComp Wheels ???