Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Q: Most inexpensive way to get 37's on a stock 2012 Rubicon 2dr 4.10 Auto JK DD

Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Q: Most inexpensive way to get 37's on a stock 2012 Rubicon 2dr 4.10 Auto JK DD

No stupid questions right?

Looking for inexpensive, not cheap. I don't want anything to fall apart on me, cause other issues or decrease performance.

So far the most informative and enjoyable information I've found was planman's write up on 37's... but I'm a noob here, with a specific question after pouring over dozens of similar threads on multiple forums.

I'm buying a 2012 Rubicon 2dr 4.10 Auto and adding a front bumper mounted winch. I want to stay as stock/inexpensive as possible. I know it's a capable vehicle out ofthe box, but I want to have 37" tires +1 mounted spare. This is going to be my DD with mixed hwy/road use. I will be going on Florida and Georgia trails twice monthly, not much rock crawling. But I don't want to lose any ability to rock crawl. One of the main reasons for wanting a Jeep is to make it easier to get to relief work post hurricane/disaster. That will be a rare event, but still, I want something that works but also affordable on a public servant's salary.

I'm planning on making cuts to the stock rocker guard, front bumper and flares.

I'm thinking a Custom Hummer Wheel and Tire combo from Trail Worthy Fab, I like the quality and price. I wish there was some way to mount these without lifting...

I wish I didn't have to lift for this to work, just because I don't want any warranty issues, but 37's will probably be all it takes to void part of the warranty anyhow.. I was looking at Rough Country, but some say that using Rubicon Express may give you a bit less trouble warranty wise.

What lift kits would you all recommend with the 37' Hummer wheels, considering the weight of the front bumper winch and rear spare tire? Maybe I should wait for 2013, my cousins uncles brothers monkey says that 37's will be standard with the 2013 Rubicon 10th Anniversary Cummins diesel model. I'm such a noob, I'm very much expecting to get flamed and reprimanded sternly, I'm not feeling like my brain is understanding anything about Jeep's. Time for a , maybe I'll just stay stock and buy some stickers.

Last edited by FireMedic1343; 04-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

You an run 37s with no lift.. Your just going to need to trim a bunch of stuff and going to run extended bump stops.. Look into some metal cloak fender flares. I have seen people run 37s on no lift with these fenders. Hope that helps.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome. It looks like those wheels come in an 8 lug pattern. Stock Rubicons have 5 lug wheel patterns. Good luck with your build.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

If you run 37's "the easy way" with the least amount of mods and lift components, you're gonna run into big issues shortly down the road.... that's all I gotta say. Save up and do it right....
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FresnoJK
Welcome. It looks like those wheels come in an 8 lug pattern. Stock Rubicons have 5 lug wheel patterns. Good luck with your build.
Thanks for the welcome, it seems like a great community here. I was happy to see that they offer an option for 5x5.0"!

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
You an run 37s with no lift.. Your just going to need to trim a bunch of stuff and going to run extended bump stops.. Look into some metal cloak fender flares. I have seen people run 37s on no lift with these fenders. Hope that helps.
Would this work with the weight of the front bumper winch and rear bumper spare wheel/tire?

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
If you run 37's "the easy way" with the least amount of mods and lift components, you're gonna run into big issues shortly down the road.... that's all I gotta say. Save up and do it right....
Excellent . That's one of the main reasons I wanted to ask the questions. I want it done right, but I want to know how to do it right while spending the least amount of money. I'll just take your advice and save up(or maybe stay stock) if I can't do it in a way that doesn't cause future problems. But being a noob, I'm hoping someone will offer some options for me coming from scratch.

Last edited by FireMedic1343; 04-08-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
I would have to agree... You can do things less expensive but not cheap, or you'll have issues later on. Do your research up front and do things correctly... My .02
Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wads13
I would have to agree... You can do things less expensive but not cheap, or you'll have issues later on. Do your research up front and do things correctly... My .02
I agree too, just looking for a game plan. I'm with you, I'm looking for less expensive but not cheap, help me I'm a noob.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

you can run the metal cloak fenders, they say you can run 37's with no lift. if you plan on keeping your fenders your going to want atleast 4 inches of lift, correct me if I'm wrong. with that much lift you do want new driveshafts. you are going to want to put C Gussets on your front axel, and might even want to look into axel sleeves.
hope this helps! If I do have any info wrong, which i don't think I do, please let me know!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

oh and do you know of what the backspacing is in those? if its a 12.50 wide tire you are putting in you will want 4.5 or less backspacing.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by j33p4life
you can run the metal cloak fenders, they say you can run 37's with no lift. if you plan on keeping your fenders your going to want atleast 4 inches of lift, correct me if I'm wrong. with that much lift you do want new driveshafts. you are going to want to put C Gussets on your front axel, and might even want to look into axel sleeves.
hope this helps! If I do have any info wrong, which i don't think I do, please let me know!
The drive shaft is more money, and I'm honestly it takes me about 10 times as long as a normal person to do mechanical things. That's why I like the FD, we mainly break stuff. They do sell exhaust spacers that may work. They seem like a simple fix that works, I haven't heard of anyone screwing up their drive shaft with the spacers on. I'm planning on trimming my factory fenders.

Originally Posted by j33p4life
oh and do you know of what the backspacing is in those? if its a 12.50 wide tire you are putting in you will want 4.5 or less backspacing.
The backspacing is 3.5".

Last edited by FireMedic1343; 04-08-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Q: Most inexpensive way to get 37's on a stock 2012 Rubicon 2dr 4.10 Auto JK DD