Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Q: for OR-Fab tire carrier owners!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David, when I hear back from you on the wheel adapter, I think I'll take two of these from you as well...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the looks of the tire and jerry can unit, but was curious as to how it mounts, so I got onto their site and looked at the installation sheets. This is a considerable project. Has anyone out there already installed one of these, and if so, what did you encounter? It requires removing tail lights, rear gate, drilling holes, etc, etc, etc.
Let me know of any experience so I know what I am getting myself into prior to purchasing one of these.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the looks of the tire and jerry can unit, but was curious as to how it mounts, so I got onto their site and looked at the installation sheets. This is a considerable project. Has anyone out there already installed one of these, and if so, what did you encounter? It requires removing tail lights, rear gate, drilling holes, etc, etc, etc.
Let me know of any experience so I know what I am getting myself into prior to purchasing one of these
I installed one on my last JK and plan on getting another for my new one. The only problem I had was my own fault...kind of. For some reason, the "kit" does not come with a template for drilling the holes on the latch side of the Jeep. The instructions say to use the template, but there isn't one included. So, I measured and eyeballed to line up where to drill. As I drilled, I was making the holes exactly where they needed to be...beginners luck I guess! Anyways, when it came time to drill the hole for the latching block, I ran too large of a drill bit through the Jeep so that I could not use the "door knob" type drill bit I purchased for this job. The guide drill on this tool was too small for the hole I had drilled. I was too excited about the fact I hit my mark that I didn't realize I was using too big of a drill bit. Had the template been there, maybe I would have done the same thing, but maybe not.

Anyways, I was able to use a dremmil and grind out the hole to specs after I used the largest drill bit I had. It turned out fine and you would never know it happened unless I told you. Other than that, just take your time and it really isn't hard....just time consuming.

The thing is SO strong and stout. No rattles at all! I also put some RTV I got at Pep Boys around the cyclinder under the latching block to prevent water from getting in between the inner and outer tub panels.

Quick Reply: Q: for OR-Fab tire carrier owners!