Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Q: for OR-Fab tire carrier owners!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Q: for OR-Fab tire carrier owners!

For owners of the OR-Fab tire carrier/Jerry can carrier...

I just bought one of these beasties from Northridge and I'd like to put 5 gallons of water and 5 gallons of fuel in mine once it's installed. I like Scepter brand cans, mil-spec poly, light, they don't dent, no rattles.

I'm curious if you MUST use traditional metal cans with the OR-Fab.

Does the can require a lip on the bottom of it in order to mount it in the carrier, etc?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had th OR-Fab tire carrier on my last JK, I love that thing. I am getting another one for my currnet JK.

To answer your question, those cans will not fit on the carrier. There is a "lip" or "tab" that the bottom of the carrier that cans sets on. The bottom lip of the metal cans fit "down inside the lip" of the carrier. You could PM OR-Fab on here and ask them if they have any kind of an adapter for their carrier that will allow those type of cans to be used. If they don't, then they won't work unless you modify it yourself to work.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the quick, detailed reply.

Can anyone turn me on to a good place to get quality metal Jerry cans with the required lip? I'd like to put water in one if that's possible, perhaps a lined can?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Can anyone turn me on to a good place to get quality metal Jerry cans with the required lip? I'd like to put water in one if that's possible, perhaps a lined can?
I ordered mine off the internet and had them in about 4 days. They are CARB compliant, which is the new EPA standard for fuel cans. I paid around $90 for the set of two. I don't have the info with me because I am at work. If you are still having trouble finding what you are looking for by this evening, PM me and I can send you the info for where I got mine. I believe they had water cans too.

Last edited by wrnglrguy; 07-23-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

I'm pretty sure I saw that OR-FAB made adapters for cans without a lip when I bought mine.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

You're right rat, they do have 'em ... $70 apiece though. I'll just get the old school cans.

Anyone get stopped by picky troopers or park rangers if their cans aren't the new style CARB compliant ones???
Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I got my metal cans fron the local Army Surplus store for like $40 or $50 a piece. I use them on my CJ since it is a gas hog.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They do make (expensive) adapters for the Scepters. I'd buy adapters if I had Scepter cans. The Blitz cans that fit are pretty good, but Scepters are better (IMHO).
Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

OR-Fab has an adapter for these type of cans. Call them up.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the adapters in stock for the lipless cans.

David

Quick Reply: Q: for OR-Fab tire carrier owners!