Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Putting Hole In Door Question

Old 06-01-2015, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Putting Hole In Door Question

I have an application that requires a 1/2" hole to be drilled at the bottom of a door panel. My issue is obviously in my 2007 JKU there is no bottom to the door panel as its flush with the door.

My question is has anyone ever drilled a hole or can tell me any issues in drilling this hole at the bottom edge of the actual door? The hole would be drilled at the under carriage of the door on the very bottom facing the ground on the right side if you were getting out of the vehicle. I am only speaking of the driver side as well as the passenger side.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jaxhammer; 06-01-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont mean to be nosy butt , with out knowing what your installing its hard to give you an answer , the only problem i can think of is water .
Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like you want to install one of those welcome ghost mat projector logo things? They do look pretty cool, just make sure there is enough clearance. Pop off the door panel, roll the window all the way down and measure if there is enough space. There shouldn't be an issue drilling into the door, be sure to use some touch up paint to cover any bare metal so rust doesn't form around the newly drilled hole. I'd be more concerned with the wiring than drilling.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dmjr228
Sounds like you want to install one of those welcome ghost mat projector logo things? They do look pretty cool, just make sure there is enough clearance. Pop off the door panel, roll the window all the way down and measure if there is enough space. There shouldn't be an issue drilling into the door, be sure to use some touch up paint to cover any bare metal so rust doesn't form around the newly drilled hole. I'd be more concerned with the wiring than drilling.
The wiring inside the door you mean. Yes, this is what concerns me the most. I have another thread with some additional info. Yes, it is one of those puddle light projector things I am trying to install.

Drilling hole in door HELP!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Wondering if I just take to a custom auto place and have them do it for $$$$. But that's no fun!!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well a lot of times the factory has drain holes in the bottom of the door so I wouldn't expect any issues. As far as the wiring in the door, there should only be a positive and a negative since it's just a light. I would put a disconnect in it though for those door off times.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Well a lot of times the factory has drain holes in the bottom of the door so I wouldn't expect any issues. As far as the wiring in the door, there should only be a positive and a negative since it's just a light. I would put a disconnect in it though for those door off times.
I am more worried about what is in the door that I cannot see more than anything. This one has me perplexed for sure!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default heres what you could expect id guess

go for it !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JKDoorDisassemlyWriteup003.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	613457  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 06-03-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
go for it !
Nice pic! Well there you go, OP, just run along the factory wires.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
go for it !
Holy dissection Batman!!!

To do this right, I would need access to underneath the black plastic part. Is that easily removed as well? I could then get a quick disconnect so I could still take doors off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	613490
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	613489  

Last edited by jaxhammer; 06-03-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxhammer
Holy dissection Batman!!!

To do this right, I would need access to underneath the black plastic part. Is that easily removed as well? I could then get a quick disconnect so I could still take doors off.

Attachment 613490
I put LED's inside my door handle cups to illuminate them so passengers can find them in the dark. I just tapped into the power supply for the little LED in the lock switch. I'd just go this route so your not running additional wiring. Sure the lights will be illuminated whenever you headlights are on, but who cares if you get a faint glow from your door seal on the inside as it'll be pinned against the seat. When you open your door they will already be illuminated and work as designed. Also, I wouldn't pull the black piece, just drill a small 2nd hole to run your wire through along the top edge of the metal. Paint it and seal with silicone, you'll be GTG and it'll be much easier with less risk of screwing someting up in the window.

Quick Reply: Putting Hole In Door Question